Music Education & Pedagogy
Music education majors at Susquehanna have numerous opportunities to work in local schools with outstanding teachers and K-12 students in band, orchestra, chorus and general music. First-year students in the MUED:200 Introduction to Music Education course observe public school teachers in every aspect of the Pennsylvania K–12 music teacher certification. Other observation and teaching opportunities include:
- Team teaching in a sixth-grade world drumming curriculum
- Choral teaching at Selinsgrove Area Middle School
- Conducting and rehearsal experience in local middle and high school instrumental classrooms
- A seven-week practicum with an elementary general-music teacher in a local elementary music program
- Teaching staff at Central Oak Heights Middle School Summer Music Camp
“Real-world" teaching opportunities also include close collaboration with the SU Preparatory Program, which provides many teaching and observation opportunities right on campus. In these classes, Susquehanna students observe master teachers and music classes for students aged birth through adult.
Susquehanna music education majors are also involved in the Collegiate Music Educator National Conference (CMENC), the collegiate version of MENC: The National Association for Music Education.