Faculty & Staff
Jack Russell Holt, Ph.D.
Professor of Biology
Office Location: Natural Sciences Center - Rm 210 A
Office Hours: 9 a.m. – 11 a.m., TTH
PHD, Univ of Oklahoma
MS, Univ of Oklahoma
BS, Harding University
Holt is a freshwater ecologist who studies the biology of algae and their roles in aquatic ecosystems. He and his students conduct research on the algal communities of local areas such as Penns Creek and the Susquehanna River, as well as those in Yaroslavl, Russia. He is a member of the Susquehanna River Heartland Coalition for Environmental Studies, also known as "The River Group." He and his students present their work at regional and national conferences and in journals such as the Journal of Freshwater Ecology and the Journal of the Pennsylvania Academy of Science.
Holt's teaching includes Systematic Biology, Aquatic Ecology, and Thought and the Natural Sciences for Honors Program students. In addition, he is the director of the Ecology Program.
He is the director of Saturday Science, a hands-on science experience for local elementary students and teachers in training. The program has been funded by Pennsylvania Space Grant since 1993. A collection of essays that he wrote as part of his duties in Saturday Science has been published as Paths of Science, which is now in its second edition. Saturday Science also provides scholarships for students to study with him in Yaroslavl, Russia, for four to five weeks during the summer.
- BIOL-202 Systematic Biology
- BIOL-408 Aquatic Ecology
- BIOL-409 Aquatic Ecology Lab
- BIOL-501 Seminar
- BIOL-504 Independent Study
- BIOL-510 Student Research I
- BIOL-511 Student Research II
- BIOL-560 Interdisciplinary Explorations Biology
- ECOL-202 Systematic Biology
- ECOL-408 Aquatic Ecology
- ECOL-409 Aquatic Ecology Lab
- ECOL-501 Independent Study
- HONS-250 Thought and the Natural Sciences
- HONS-301 300-Level Honors Seminar
- OFFP-RUSSIA The Golden Ring of Russia
- OFFR-RUSSIA The Golden Ring of Russia
- OFFS-RUSSIA The Golden Ring of Russia