Faculty & Staff
David S. Richard, Ph.D.
Associate Dean of the School of Arts & Sciences
Go Program: Focus Australia
Professor of Biology
Office Location: Seibert Hall
Office Hours: 10 a.m. – 11 a.m., T
PHD, University of Edinburgh
MSc, University of Dundee
BSc, University of Stirling
Richard teaches introductory-level course Cell and Organismal Biology and upper-level courses in Cell Biology, Animal Physiology and Exercise and Extreme Physiology. He is a co-director of the Focus Australia short-term study-away program and leads the Sherpa Life and Culture GO-Short program to Nepal.
He is a cell biologist working on the regulation of insect egg development by components of the insulin-signaling pathway. He and his students use molecular and cellular techniques to examine the production, distribution and activity of the insulin receptor substrate protein CHICO in ovaries of the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster. This work, which has been funded by grants from NIH and NSF, has resulted in a number of publications outlining the regulatory processes in vitellogenesis.
Richard presently serves as Associate Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences.
- BIOL-102 Cell and Organismal Biology
- BIOL-102L Cell & Organismal Biology Lab
- BIOL-306 Cell Biology
- BIOL-307 Cell Biology Lab
- BIOL-310 Animal Physiology
- BIOL-311 Animal Physiology Lab
- BIOL-320 Exercise & Extreme Physiology
- BIOL-503 Biological Issues in Australia
- BIOL-510 Student Research I
- BIOL-560 Interdisciplinary Explorations Biology
- OFFP-AUSTRAL Focus Australia
- OFFP-NEPAL Sherpa Life & Culture
- OFFR-AUSTRAL Focus Australia
- OFFR-NEPAL Sherpa Life & Culture
- OFFS-AUSTRAL Focus Australia
- OFFS-NEPAL Sherpa Life & Culture
- PRDV-104 Perspectives