Frequently Asked Questions

Informing the University of Your Interest in Secondary Education

Q. How do I notify the Education Department that I'm interested in secondary education?

A. Two things should be done when you decide that you want to be a secondary teacher: you should inform the Office of the Registrar offce of your interest by filling out a "Declaration of Academic Program or Change of Advisor" form on which you state that your program is your major plus secondary education. These programs are "hyphenated majors," which means that their names are made up of the major name (such as English, biology or history) followed by a hyphen and "Secondary Education." Examples of these programs are "Psychology – Secondary Education," "Spanish – Secondary Education" etc. You should also send an e-mail to Valerie Allison-Roan, Ph.D., letting her know of your plan to pursue a secondary teaching certificate. You can request a meeting with her so that the two of you can make sure that your coursework is on track.


When to Apply for Admission to the Teacher Education Program

Q. When do I need to apply for admission to the Teacher Education Program?

A. You must be admitted to the program before you can do your student teaching in your senior year. Therefore you should apply for admission to the program no later than the end of your junior year. We recommend that you apply as soon as you have completed all the requirements for admission. To make things easier for yourself, lay out a schedule detailing how you plan to meet all the requirements by the deadline. If you need help with this, contact Valerie Allison-Roan or one of the student advisors in the education department.


Externships You Must Complete

Q: What is the externship requirement for the Teacher Education Program?

A. All candidates seeking admission to the Teacher Education Program at Susquehanna must complete a 40-hour externship involving children or adolescents.  More Details >>


Sequence of Education Courses

Q. What is the recommended sequence of education courses?

A. Introduction to Education (EDUC:101) and Historical and Philosophical Foundations of Education (EDUC:102) are the first education courses to take. They may be taken in the freshman year, but secondary-education students usually take them in the sophomore year. Educational Psychology (EDUC:250) is recommended for the junior year, although you may take it in your sophomore or senior year. You can take Technology in Education (EDUC:330) in your sophomore, junior or senior year. Instructional Design (EDUC:380) is taken in the junior year or in the fall of the senior year.

As preparation for your student teaching in the fall of your senior year, you are required to take EDUC:479 (Principles of Learning and Teaching in Secondary Education), EDUC:483 (Differentiated Instruction and Classroom Management in Secondary Education), and a 400-level EDUC course in Methods of Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment. The course numbers for the methods classes will vary according to the subject area. In the spring semester of your senior year, you will take EDUC:500 student teaching block of courses, which includes EDUC:600 (Student Teaching Seminar). Here is a summary of the recommended sequence: 

  • Sophomore year: EDUC:101 and EDUC:102 
  • Junior year: EDUC:250 and EDUC:380 
  • EDUC:330 in either sophomore or junior year 
  • Senior year, fall semester: EDUC:479, 483 and 400-level 
  • Senior year, spring semester: EDUC:501, EDUC:502, EDUC:503, and 600

You can download an eight-semester planner that provides this same information in a convenient format. 


After You're Admitted to the Teacher Education Program

Q. After I've been admitted to the Teacher Education Program, what do I do next?

A. You need to keep your GPA at 3.0 or higher, because you must have a 3.0 when you graduate in order to be certified as a teacher in Pennsylvania. You need to be sure to take all the required courses for your major, and complete any other requirements that the department of your major stipulates. You also need to take all the remaining required education courses in the appropriate semesters (see the list of required education courses above).

Course Catalog

Bookmark and Share