Student Support Network and Student Engagement and Retention Committee
Our students value the individualized attention they receive at Susquehanna University. Faculty and staff promote student success by working together in the following ways to support students in distress and to create the best environment for student learning.
Student Support Network
The Student Support Network (SSN) is designed to respond to academic, social, behavioral and health concerns about individual students.
The hub of the network is formed by key student-support administrators who assist particular grade-level cohorts.
Faculty, staff, parents, and students may inform SSN of concerns they have about a student via e-alert or by directly contacting the SSN administrator who assists that student’s grade-level cohort:
Associate Dean of Students for Student Support
Director of First-Year Programs
|James Black (Chair)
|Associate Dean for Student Success and Engagement
Director of the Center for Academic Achievement
|Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors|
SSN staff investigate the situation by directly assisting students, making referrals to additional resources when needed, and/or by partnering with existing academic and administrative departments.
Patterns that emerge in the SSN are referred to the Student Engagement and Retention Committee (SERC – described below) for review.
To refer a student, please submit an e-alert by using the online form or contact the appropriate SSN administrator. Information provided is confidential and will only be shared on a need-to-know basis.
If you have questions or comments please contact James Black at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Engagement and Retention Committee
The Student Engagement and Retention Committee (SERC) is comprised of a group of administrators and faculty that meets weekly for one hour to discuss and review systemic issues and related policies and procedures that may impact student persistence and engagement.
SERC members are intentionally selected because of their oversight over areas critical to student engagement and success. The discussions draw on the insights of the committee’s diverse membership, which includes faculty from each of the university schools, representatives from various student support offices, and members of the Student Support Network (SSN – described above). Committee recommendations such as modifications, revisions and policy implementation are made to the provost for consideration and action.
● Jenna Antoniewicz, Director of Community Standards and Student Conduct
● James Black (Chair), Associate Dean for Student Success & Engagement / Director of Center for Academic Achievement
● Phil Gehman, Coordinator of Disability Services
● Diana Heeren, Director of Finance and Risk Management
● Armenta Hinton, Associate Director of the Center for Diversity & Social Justice and International Student Services
● Mark Huber, Chief Information Officer and Director of IT
● Kathy Kroupa, Assistant Director of Athletics and Head Softball Coach
● Eric Lassahn, Director of Residence Life & Center for Civic Engagement
● Caro Mercado, Associate Dean of Students for Student Support & Director of First-Year Programs
● Brent Papson, Director of Student Activities
● Anna Beth Payne, Associate Dean of Student Life and Director of Counseling Center
● Dave Richard, Associate Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences/Professor of Biology
● Dena Salerno, Director of the Center for Diversity & Social Justice and International Student Services
● Lisa Scott, Vice President for Student Success and Engagement/Chief Diversity Officer
● Alex Smith, Registrar
● Erin Wolfe, Director of Financial Aid