Faculty & Staff
Courtney L. Thomas, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Office Location: Natural Sciences Center - Rm 307 A
1 p.m. – 2 p.m., M
8:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m., TTH
PHD, Iowa State University
BS, Saint Ambrose University
Thomas teaches General Chemistry and the Biochemistry series. Recent courses she has taught at Susquehanna University include Biochemistry of Metabolism, Biochemistry of Nucleic Acids, Biochemistry of Proteins, and General Chemistry I and II. Her research involves elucidating protein-protein interactions involved in coordinating cell growth and morphology. She uses FRET (Fluorescence Resonance Energy Transfer) and standard biochemical techniques to achieve these goals. Thomas also pursues science education research including publishing classroom activities and determining the most successful methods to improve student learning.
Thomas directed Susquehanna University's Science in Motion (SIM) program for six years. The SIM program is a statewide outreach program with a mission to encourage and improve science instruction and education in Pennsylvania secondary schools. Under her leadership, SIM expanded to include a water quality project funded by the Chesapeake Bay Commission. She wrote several successful grants for equipment and instrumentation for SIM from the Merck Company Foundation and Cherokee Pharmaceuticals, in addition to obtaining annual funding from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Thomas also facilitated two rounds of equipment and instrumentation donations from ConAgra Foods to SIM and to SU's biology and chemistry departments.
Thomas is a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Chemical Society, the Genetics Society of America and the American Society for Microbiology.
- BIOL-424 The Biochemistry of Metabolism
- BIOL-425 Biochemistry of Nucleic Acids
- BIOL-426 Biochemistry of Proteins & Enzymes
- BIOL-427 Biochemistry of Proteins & Enzymes Lab
- BIOL-429 Biochemistry of Metabolism Lab
- CHEM-101L General Chemistry I Lab
- CHEM-102 General Chemistry II
- CHEM-103 General Chemistry I Teams
- CHEM-104 General Chemistry II Teams
- CHEM-105 General Chemistry I Lab
- CHEM-106 General Chemistry II Lab
- CHEM-112 General Chemistry II Teams
- CHEM-424 The Biochemistry of Metabolism
- CHEM-425 Biochemistry of Nucleic Acids
- CHEM-426 Biochemistry of Proteins & Enzymes
- CHEM-427 Biochemistry of Proteins & Enzymes Lab
- CHEM-429 Biochemistry of Metabolism Lab
- CHEM-490 Independent Study
- CHEM-501 Independent Study