Faculty & Staff
Courtney L. Thomas, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Office Location: Natural Sciences Center - Rm 307 A
PHD, Iowa State University
BS, Saint Ambrose University
Thomas is teaching Biochemistry of Proteins and General Chemistry laboratory for 2010–11. Courses she has taught at Susquehanna University include Biochemistry of Nucleic Acids lecture and laboratory, Cell and Organismal Biology laboratory, Chemical Concepts laboratory, General Chemistry laboratory, Ecology Evolution and Heredity lecture and laboratory, Histology lecture and laboratory, and Issues in Biology lecture and laboratory.
Thomas directed Susquehanna University's Science in Motion (SIM) program for six years. The SIM program is a statewide outreach program with a mission to encourage and improve science instruction and education in Pennsylvania secondary schools. Under her leadership, SIM expanded to include a water quality project funded by the Chesapeake Bay Commission. She wrote several successful grants for equipment and instrumentation for SIM from the Merck Company Foundation and Cherokee Pharmaceuticals, in addition to obtaining annual funding from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Thomas also facilitated two rounds of equipment and instrumentation donations from ConAgra Foods to SIM and to SU's biology and chemistry departments.
Thomas is a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the Genetics Society of America, the American Society for Microbiology, the National Science Teachers Association and the Pennsylvania Science Teachers Association.
- BIOL-424 The Biochemistry of Metabolism
- BIOL-425 Biochemistry of Nucleic Acids
- BIOL-426 Biochemistry of Proteins & Enzymes
- BIOL-427 Biochemistry of Proteins & Enzymes Lab
- BIOL-429 Biochemistry of Metabolism Lab
- CHEM-101 General Chemistry I
- CHEM-101L General Chemistry I Lab
- CHEM-102 General Chemistry II
- CHEM-102L General Chemistry II Lab
- CHEM-103 General Chemistry I Teams
- CHEM-104 General Chemistry II Teams
- CHEM-424 The Biochemistry of Metabolism
- CHEM-425 Biochemistry of Nucleic Acids
- CHEM-426 Biochemistry of Proteins & Enzymes
- CHEM-427 Biochemistry of Proteins & Enzymes Lab
- CHEM-429 Biochemistry of Metabolism Lab
- CHEM-490 Independent Study
- CHEM-501 Independent Study