Faculty & Staff
Lynn E. Palermo, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of French
Go Program: Villandraut
Office Location: Bogar Hall - Rm 217
PHD, Pennsylvania State University
MA, Univ of Delaware
BA, Pennsylvania State University
Palermo specializes in the cultural politics, arts and literature of the Third Republic (1870-1940), especially the decades between the two World Wars. Her research interests include world’s fairs, surrealism, modernism, colonialism and cultural representation. Her most recent publication is titled "The 1925 Paris Exposition des Arts Décoratifs et Industriels Modernes and Le Pavillon de L’Esprit Nouveau: Le Corbusier’s Manifesto for Modern Man," to appear in Meet Me at the Fair: A World's Fair Reader in fall 2013. Other publications relating to world's fairs include, “L’Exposition Anticoloniale: Political or Aesthetic Protest?” in French Cultural Studies (2009), and “Identity under Construction: Representing the colonies at the Paris Exposition Universelle of 1889,” in The Color of Liberty: Histories of Race in France (2003).
Palermo is also interested in translation and translation studies. She is currently translating an essay relating to the Romanian Surrealist movement for a special issue of Dada and Surrealism, as well as several literary translations. Published translations include “The Poetic Genius of C. F. Ramuz,” in Stravinsky’s Histoire du soldat: A Facsimile of the Sketches (2005); and "The Neighbor on Rue de Jarente," the translation of a short story by French author Cyrille Fleischman, which appeared in World Literature Today (2010).
She has spent more than five years in France, with extended stays in Alsace, Brittany, Normandy, Paris, Burgundy, Provence and the Center (Val du Loir). Among her activities in France were studying, teaching English at the secondary and university levels, exploring archives, working on a sheep and chicken farm, picking grapes, working on the restoration of two monasteries and a castle, stone-cutting, story-telling, and backpacking on country roads.
- FRNC-101 Beginning French I
- FRNC-102 Beginning French II
- FRNC-201 Intermediate French I
- FRNC-301 Advanced Conversation and Phonetics
- FRNC-302 Advanced Composition and Grammar
- FRNC-310 French/Francophon Lit & Cultural Study
- FRNC-460 Seminar French Literature/Culture/Film
- FRNC-542 Independent Study
- FRNC-599 Senior Language Proficiency Evaluation
- INTD-505 Independent Study
- LANG-210 Crossing Cultures Through Literature
- LANG-502 Independent Study
- LANG-503 Classroom Assistant
- OFFP-VILLAND GO France - Villandraut
- OFFR-310 Global Citizenship
- OFFR-VILLAND GO France - Villandraut
- OFFS-VILLAND GO France - Villandraut