Special Endowment Funds
The Arlin M. Adams Center for Law and Society was created by the Sigfried and Janet Weis family and the Degenstein Foundation, with additional support from the Annenberg Foundation, to honor Judge Arlin M. Adams H’85, a prominent jurist dedicated to public service and a long-time friend of Susquehanna University.The Center focuses on the law and its impact on people and institutions, providing a rich learning and experiential resource for students, faculty and members of the community. A core component of the Center is an annual lecture featuring prominent leaders and scholars speaking on critical first amendment issues.
The Claude G. Aikens '11 Business Fund was established by the family for use within the Department of Business Administration.
The Katharine Heldt Aucker '44 Endowment was established by bequest for use by the university.
The Baylor Family Endowment was established in 1993 by family members as an expression of their appreciation for the university's continued commitment to the region. Reflecting their belief that personal development is essential to the educational process, income from this endowment will initially be expended on initiatives designed to enhance motivation, self-confidence, and leadership abilities in students, in and outside the classroom. In the year 2030, all restrictions on Susquehanna's use of the income will be eliminated, and the endowment will function as an unrestricted, named endowment fund.
The J. Edgar Bishop '25 Unrestricted Endowment Fund was established by a bequest from Mr. Bishop's estate and by members of Mr. Bishop's family. Income from the fund is to be used to support the university's highest priorities.
The Beatrice V. Bowman Endowment Fund was created in 1990 through the will of Beatrice V. Bowman. The fund is a memorial to Emory T. Bowman, Daisy M. Bowman and Robert T. Bowman '47. The income from this fund is to be spent at the discretion of the university to support the Departments of History and Literature.
The Class of 1938 Faculty Research and Development Fund was established by members of the Class of 1938 in honor of their 50th reunion and provides development resources for the faculty's continued professional growth.
The Class of 1939 Susquehanna University Fund Endowment was established by the Class of 1939 in honor of its 50th reunion. Through this gift, the class endows, in perpetuity, a yearly gift to the annual Susquehanna University Fund (SUF) and thus provides a lasting remembrance of the Class of 1939. The SUF supports Susquehanna's highest priority needs in people, programs and facilities.
The Class of 1941 Unrestricted Endowment Fund was established by the members of the Class of 1941 in commemoration of the 50th reunion of their graduation from Susquehanna University and will provide a lasting remembrance of the Class of 1941. Income from the fund will be used to support the university's highest priority needs.
The Class of 1944 Unrestricted Endowment Fund was established by the members of the Class of 1944 in commemoration of the 50th reunion of their graduation from Susquehanna University. Income from the fund will be used to support the university's highest priority needs.
The Class of 1949 Unrestricted Endowment Fund was established in 1999 by the members of the Class of 1949 in commemoration of the 50th reunion of their graduation from Susquehanna University. Income from the fund is to be used to support the university's highest needs and priorities.
The Class of 1950 Endowment for the Sports and Fitness Complex was established in 2000 by the members of the Class of 1950 in commemoration of the 50th reunion of their graduation from Susquehanna University. Income from this fund is to be used to support the Sports and Fitness Complex.
The Charles B. Degenstein Endowments in Honor of Sigmund Weis were contributed by Mr. Degenstein to establish the Sigmund Weis School of Business in honor of his father-in-law, a member of the Class of 1903. The endowments provide direct support to the business school and also provide support for academic programs outside the school that are vital to the education of future business leaders.
The Charles B. Degenstein H'82 Endowment for the Business and Communications Center was established in 1999 by a generous bequest from Mr. Degenstein, a longtime director, benefactor and friend of the university. Income from the fund will provide for maintenance and equipment needs in this building which he made possible.
The Degenstein Endowment for "Charlie's" was contributed by Mr. Degenstein to provide supplementary funds for "Charlie's," an alcohol-free student entertainment center.
The Degenstein Center Theater and Lore Degenstein Gallery Endowment was created by Charles B. Degenstein H'82 to provide for maintenance, equipment and programming needs in the Degenstein Center Theater and Lore Degenstein Gallery.
The Charles B. and Lore A. Degenstein General Endowment for Academic and Student Programs was established by Mr. Degenstein in 1994 and provides support to programs that benefit students and faculty.
The James W. Garrett Endowment Fund was established in 1984 by Sally F. '68 and Richard E. Caruso '65 as a means of honoring his former coach and friend.
The Russell and Signe Eva Gates Endowment for the Humanities was established in their memory in 1998 by their daughter, Signe '71, to celebrate their enduring affection for Susquehanna. Under the direction of the university's chief academic officer, endowment income is to be expended in support of the humanities for library-related needs and the development of the curriculum.
The Miller H. Gerhardt '30 Endowment Fund was established by a bequest from Mr. Gerhardt.
The Albert F. Goetz Foundation Endowment was established for use by the university in the area of professional development.
The Robert and Jane Harding Unrestricted Endowment Fund was established in 1986 by Mr. and Mrs. Harding, parents of Scott Harding '88. The income is to be used to support the university's most urgent needs.
The Charles F. and Edna Etzrodt '49 Harkness Business Endowment was established in 1992 through a bequest from Charles F. Harkness to support business programs at the University.
The Fund for Jewish Studies was established in 1998 by a generous gift from Robert and Patricia Weis. Income from the fund provides support for the university's Jewish Studies program.
The Mahala Gladfelter Holzapple Fund was established in 1973 under the will of Dr. George E. Holzapple.
The O. W. Houts Unrestricted Endowment was established in 1993 under the will of O. W. Houts. Income from this fund will support a variety of programs and projects at Susquehanna.
The Lawrence M. '43 and Louise Kresge '45 Isaacs Endowment for Music was established by Mr. and Mrs. Isaacs, members of the classes of 1943 and 1945, respectively. The fund is a reflection of the Isaacs’ long-standing commitment to excellence in the music program at Susquehanna University, and recognizes the vital role the music program plays in the life of the university and of the surrounding community. In awarding income from the fund, two-thirds to four-fifths should be expended for music scholarships. The remaining income from the endowment may be expended for the professional development of music faculty members and/or music performance as proposed by the chair of the Department of Music and at the discretion of the dean of the School of Fine Arts and Communications and the vice president of academic affairs.
The Alice Ann Patterson ’58 Jacobs Music Endowment was funded by the estate of Mrs. Jacobs, a member of Susquehanna’s board of directors and president of the American Association of University Women Educational Foundation. Income from this fund will be used for the benefit of the music program.
The Euphemia Brown Kerns '14 Fund was established by bequest of her daughter, Martha E. Kerns, for use within the Department of Music.
The Lauver Accounting Fund was established in 1985 by Mr. and Mrs. Raymond C. Lauver to support the Department of Accounting.
The March Fund for Accounting was established in 1988 by Mr. and Mrs. Terry L. March '67. Income is used for the enhancement of Susquehanna's accounting program as recommended by the dean of the Sigmund Weis School of Business and approved by the president. In selecting the most effective use of these funds, preference is to be given to support for activities which sustain the professional development of senior members of the accounting faculty.
The Alice Musselman '12 Music Fund was established by her bequest in 1987 for use within the Department of Music.
The Harold C. and Nancy M. O'Connor Distinguished Achievement Fund was established in 1997 by Mr. and Mrs. O'Connor for the purpose of making a difference in the lives of Susquehanna's people, especially its students and faculty, so that they may in turn be able to make a difference in their communities. Recipients should be individuals who demonstrate qualities of leadership, such as academic ability, concern for others and a commitment to service. Income from the fund provides for significant annual scholarships to outstanding students who enroll as full-time undergraduates, with recipients to be known as the Harold C. and Nancy M. O'Connor Scholars, and to support the Harold C. and Nancy M. O'Connor Professorship for a distinguished faculty member who excels in teaching and scholarship.
The Neil H. Potter "Helping Hands" Fund was created to help students who find themselves in need of extraordinary financial assistance during the academic year. Dr. Potter joined the Susquehanna chemistry department faculty in 1966 and spent his career serving the university, its students, and the Selinsgrove Community.
The Presidential Discretionary Fund for Excellence was established by the board of directors of Susquehanna University in 1985 upon the occasion of the inauguration of Joel Cunningham as 13th president of Susquehanna University. Annual income from the fund provides funding for unique opportunities for the university's students and faculty.
The Florence and Saul Putterman Fund for the Visual Arts was established in 1986 by Florence Putterman, a member of the Susquehanna art faculty, and her husband, Saul, a member of Susquehanna's board of directors, to provide the university with resources for constructing a new visual arts facility, including appropriate gallery space to promote the visual arts. Until the university has appropriate funds in hand for construction of such a facility, income from the Putterman Fund will be available for expenditure to support the visual arts.
The Katherine P. Reed Music Fund was established by her bequest for use in the music program.
The Rhoads and Sinon Endowment was established at Susquehanna in 1993 by the Harrisburg law firm through the work of Rhoads and Sinon partner, Frank J. Leber, a member of Susquehanna's class of 1964.
The Rocks Fund for Political Science was established in 1997 through a gift from Sandra M. Rocks '75 and her husband, Bernard M. Plum. The income from this fund is used annually to support the work of faculty and students in the Department of Political Science. Ms. Rocks, a political science major, created the fund as a special tribute to Professors James Blessing, Robert Bradford, Bruce Evans and Gene Urey.
The Samuel D. Ross, Jr. '54 and Dorothy Apgar Ross '53 Humanities Fund. Established in 1997 through a gift from the Rosses and in response to a challenge grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, this fund supports humanities-based education at Susquehanna by providing for library resources, multimedia equipment, and faculty development funding.
The Alice Pope Shade Fund was established in 1983 by her daughter, Rebecca Shade Mignot. The income is available annually for discretionary use by the Department of Religion.
The Charles Steele Fund was established by his bequest. The income is used by the university at its discretion.
The Surdna Foundation Endowment was established in 1982 to support campus work opportunities for students with financial need.
The Susquehanna University Fund for Teaching in the Humanities was established in 1998 by the Arthur Vining Davis Foundations in Jacksonville, Florida. Income from the fund is to be used at the discretion of the university's dean of Arts, Humanities, and Communications to support curricular development and enhancements in teaching in the humanities.
The Susquehanna Sports Hall of Fame Fund for Athletics was established through a bequest from Samuel '41 and Eleanor Fletcher. Mr. Fletcher, a co-captain of the undefeated football team of 1940, was inducted into the Susquehanna Hall of Fame as a charter member in 1967.
The Ruth Larue Thompson '21 Fund was established by bequest, for discretionary use by the university.
The Tressler Accounting Endowment Fund was established in 1989 under the will of Allen C. Tressler '29. This fund provides support for the Tressler Distinguished Chair in Accounting, curricular development in the accounting program, and scholarship aid for students enrolled in and pursuing courses in accounting as their selected major of study. Scholarship awards are to be made with a preference given to full-time students from lower Northumberland County and upper Dauphin County who maintain a grade point average of 2.5 or more and who display financial need. Awards are made with a request that recipients shall, upon achieving earning capacity, make in gratitude an appropriate contribution to the scholarship fund.
The George W. and Elizabeth H. Wagenseller Academic Program Endowment was established in 1981 by a bequest from George W. Wagenseller of Los Angeles, Ca. Income is to be used by the Dean of the university for such special projects and purposes that may not be covered by the operating budget and which will benefit the academic program of the university.
The Norman E. Walz Endowment for Faculty Development was established in 1987 by a gift from the First National Trust Bank of Sunbury, as an expression of appreciation to the man whose distinguished career in banking spanned more than 40 years, culminating in his service as First National's president (1969-76). The bank also recognized his 18 years service to the university as a member of its board of directors and as its treasurer (1961-79). Income from this fund is to be expended under the direction of the vice president of academic affairs on activities which bring faculty members into direct, sustained contact with organizations beyond the academic environment, in the hope that exposure to new environments will enhance currency and vitality in scholarship and in teaching.
The Janet C. Weis Endowment for the Liberal Arts was established through a generous gift from the Degenstein Foundation in recognition of Mrs. Weis’ deep and abiding commitment to literature and the arts. The endowment will support the writing program at Susquehanna.
The Williamson/Spitzner Unrestricted Endowment Fund was established in 1986 through a bequest by Ms. Elizabeth Williamson in honor and memory of Clyde R. Spitzner, Class of '37 and longtime member of Susquehanna's board of directors.
The Donald E. '50 and Flora Barnhart '51 Wissinger Humanities Fund was established in 1997 with a gift from Mr. and Mrs. Wissinger in response to a challenge grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities. This fund supports humanities-based education at Susquehanna by providing for library resources, multimedia equipment, and faculty development funding.