FacilitiesSusquehanna has an attractive campus of about 220 acres. Well-kept lawns and athletic fields add to its year-round beauty. More than 50 buildings span a period of nearly 150 years.
Buildings and Facilities.
- Selinsgrove Hall, the university's first building, houses administrative offices. Built in 1858, largely through the generosity of the people of Selinsgrove, it is on the National Register of Historic Places. The university added an elevator and ramps to provide equal access for the disabled in an extensive 1991 renovation.
- Seibert Hall, built in 1901 and renovated in 1984, was named for donor Samuel Seibert. A handsome Greek revival building on the National Register of Historic Places, it is a multipurpose facility with the upper two floors used for student residences. The lower two floors house the offices of the School of Natural and Social Sciences, the departments of Education and Mathematical and Computer Science, the Office of the Registrar, the Office of Information Technology and the 200-seat Isaacs Auditorium.
- Steele Hall, originally completed in 1913 for the science program, was named for Charles Steele. An extensive renovation in 1992 added an elevator to the building, which now houses offices of the School of Arts, Humanities and Communications and the departments of Economics, History, Political Science, and Sociology and Anthropology.
- Bogar Hall, dedicated in 1951 and renovated in 1990, is home to the departments of Modern Languages and Philosophy, Religion and Classical Studies.
- The Cunningham Center for Music and Art, completed in 2002, is named in recognition of President Emeritus Joel Cunningham and his wife, Trudy, and their contributions to the university. The building provides contemporary art and music teaching facilities and flexible practice and performance space, including a 320-seat concert hall named in honor of Director of Choral Activities Cyril Stretansky. A grant from the Degenstein Foundation of Sunbury, Pa., funded the extensive renovations and additions to Susquehanna's original music building, Heilman Hall, constructed in 1958, thanks to a generous gift from May Heilman.
- Fisher Science Hall, expanded and renovated in 1990, contains classrooms, laboratories, office and research space for the departments of Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Environmental Sciences, Physics, and Psychology. The building is designed to encourage collaborative research between faculty and students and among departments. Equipment includes a gene sequencer, scanning electron microscope, a sophisticated instrument room with nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometer, a hologram room with an optics table, and one of the largest reflecting telescopes in Pennsylvania. Fisher also includes a greenhouse and an environmental chamber.
- Apfelbaum Hall, completed in 1999, is a high-technology center for the entire campus, as well as home to the Sigmund Weis School of Business and the offices of the Department of Communications. The building features three multimedia computer laboratories, a state-of-the-art presentation classroom, two television studios, and 600 information technology dataports - one for every seat in the classrooms, team study areas and student lounges.
- The Charles B. Degenstein Campus Center, opened in 1968 and renovated in 2005, is the hub of student life at Susquehanna. It includes the 500-seat Evert Dining Room, Benny's Bistro, Charlie's Coffee house, The Crusader student newspaper, and campus radio station WQSU-FM. A 1992 addition includes a 450-seat theater and the Lore Degenstein Gallery. The Campus Center is home to the offices of Student Life, Campus Activities, Multicultural Affairs, the Center for Career Services and the Office of Volunteer Programs. The Campus Bookstore, also in the Degenstein Campus Center, sells textbooks and other reading matter, Susquehanna gifts and clothing, supplies and sundries. The building was named in 1981 to honor Charles B. Degenstein, a generous Susquehanna benefactor.
- TRAX, a campus nightclub and entertainment venue, opened in 2006. The facility was designed with input from students and hosts themed parties, dances, musical groups and other performers.
- The Art Studio, renovated in 1990, provides a site for studio instruction in painting, printmaking and three-dimensional design.
- The James W. Garrett Sports Complex, completed in 2001, includes a field house, the Clyde H. Jacobs Fitness Center, the Orlando W. Houts Gymnasium, a swimming pool, weight room, and other facilities for fitness, intramural and intercollegiate athletics. The 51,000-square-foot field house includes a six-lane, 200-meter indoor track, four multipurpose playing courts for basketball, tennis and volleyball, and indoor team practice space for field sports. An extensive selection of weight training and fitness equipment is available in the fitness center, which was named for Susquehanna parent and friend Dr. Clyde Jacobs and his wife, Alice Ann Patterson '58 Jacobs. The sports and fitness complex, named for former football coach Jim Garrett, also includes indoor racquetball courts, student lounge and study spaces, and Clyde's Place, which offers cafe-style dining for lunch and snacks.
- Lopardo Stadium, a 3,500-seat football and track stadium named for Nicholas A. Lopardo '68, a former member of the university's board of trustees and Sports Hall of Fame member, opened in the fall of 2000. The stadium includes an eight-lane, quarter-mile track and is equipped with a high-tech artificial turf surface and lighting for night events. Stagg Field is named for Amos Alonzo Stagg Sr., the Grand Old Man of Football, and his son, Amos Alonzo Stagg Jr., professor emeritus of physical education, who co-coached Susquehanna football from 1947 to 1952. Six all-weather tennis courts are adjacent to the field. The Harold Bollinger Baseball Field is located near West Hall and the Sassafras Fields complex serves six varsity sports with a softball field, a multipurpose field with an artificial turf surface and lights, and a multipurpose practice field.
There are additional outdoor campus facilities for rugby and intramural sports.
- Weber Chapel Auditorium, completed in 1966 and seating 1,500, features a revolving stage with performance facilities on one side and a chancel on the other. It is named in honor of Gustave Weber, university president from 1959 to 1977. The building includes the Horn Meditation Chapel, the Greta Ray Lounge, the Office of the Chaplain, and two organs - one built by Lynn Dobson and the other a 3,000 pipe, three-manual Möller.
- The Office of Admissions is located at 514 University Avenue, the Office of Financial Aid at 512 University Avenue, the Office of Continuing Education at 530 University Avenue and the Office of Alumni Relations at 504 University Avenue.
- Pine Lawn, constructed in 1929 and expanded and extensively renovated in 2000, is the home of the president of the university.
- The Health Center, at 606 University Avenue, is operated under the direction of the university nurse administrator.
- The George A. Hepner Ecology Laboratory at Camp Karoondinha includes 600 acres ranging from 600 to 1,800 feet above sea level and featuring deciduous and mixed coniferous forests, an eight-acre lake, Penns Creek and a series of small streams. The site includes a modern research facility and a variety of habitats.
Library and Information Technology. The fully automated Blough-Weis Library offers study space for more than 500 students. The collection exceeds 290,000 bound volumes with more than 125,000 microforms, 7,000 audio CDs, DVDs, and videos; and more than 15,000 journal subscriptions with most journals available online through the Web. The Library is open 104 hours per week during fall and spring semesters.
Librarians teach many sessions on research sources for the various disciplines taught at SU including the use of information on the Internet. Reference librarians are available to help students in person, by phone, or by e-mail through the Web form “Ask a Librarian.” In addition, the Library offers interlibrary loan and database searching services. Journal articles and book chapters, assigned by professors, are available online through ERes, electronic course reserves software. ERes, the library online catalog (iLink) and the Library’s Internet subscription databases are available from any computer connected to the Internet.
The Media Center is located on the lower level of the Library. It houses the videos, CDs, DVDs, cassette recordings and music scores. Music listening areas and video viewing areas are also available in the center.
The Office of University Tutorial Services is located in the Library. Students can obtain assistance with writing projects, math assignments, and study skills. The Blough-Weis Library is a member of the following resource-sharing consortia: Associated College Libraries of Central Pennsylvania, Interlibrary Library Service of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Area Library Network, Susquehanna Library Cooperative, Pennsylvania Academic Library Cooperative and the On-Line Computer Library Center.
The Office of Information Technology (OIT), located on the lower floor of Seibert Hall, provides comprehensive centralized technology support for all university constituents including academic departments, administrative offices, students and clubs, prospective students and alumni. The newly-upgraded fiber optic campus network supports more than 3,000 high-speed wired Ethernet connections to all campus buildings, including residence halls. WiFi network access is abundant and widespread throughout the campus. From residence halls or through the use of over 300 PCs and Macs provided in campus computer labs, students have access to all of the university's rich technology resources such as laser printers, Blackboard web services, e-mail, broadband Internet, specialized licensed software, library resources and subscription databases. Antivirus, spam blocking and identity thief protection are provided and required for every campus computer, including student-owned technology. OIT also provides campus wide telecommunication services for phones and voicemail, along with wireless solutions including cell phones and Blackberries. The central data and networking center includes more than 40 servers running the latest in Microsoft, Apple and Linux operating systems connected by a state-of-the-art secure Cisco network core.
Residence Halls. Susquehanna has a variety of residence options. All residence halls are connected to the secure private campus network and have access to high-speed Internet service.
Hassinger Hall, dedicated in 1921 and extensively renovated in 1992, is a three-story residence hall. The lower level also is home to the Department of English and Creative Writing. The building was originally erected largely through gifts from the family of Martin Luther Hassinger.
Smith Hall, Aikens Hall and Reed Hall are residence halls originally completed in 1961, 1961, and 1963, respectively. They are named for G. Morris Smith, university president from 1928 to 1959; Charles T. Aikens, president from 1905 to 1927; and Katherine Reed, a Susquehanna benefactor. Smith was extensively renovated in 1999 and houses 274 students. Aikens and Reed were renovated between 1990 and 1992 and each houses 150 students.
Other residences include: West Hall, renovated in 2006 and accommodating about 160 students; and North Hall, renovated and expanded in 1998 to house 118 students.
Shobert Hall, Isaacs House and Roberts House in the Sassafras Complex opened in the fall of 1995, offering a townhouse and suite complex for 87 upperclass students. They are named for former chair of the university's board of directors Erle Shobert and his wife, Marjorie; Board Member Emeritus Larry Isaacs and his wife, Louise, former president of the Women's Auxiliary; and the late William Roberts, a distinguished Department of Music faculty member, and his wife, Ruth. A second phase of the Sassafras Complex was completed in the fall of 2001 doubling the size of this residential option.
The new West Village, a two-building complex built in 2007, offers suite-style amenities to its 96 residents.
Liberty Alley apartments represent a small complex of units that the university purchased in the spring of 2001. These units for upperclass students are located adjacent to campus off University Avenue.
The University Scholars' House, completely renovated and renamed in 1994, provides housing for 24 upperclass students completing scholarly work in a personal area of interest.
Susquehanna also has a number of smaller residences including volunteer Project Houses. In addition, some students live in one fraternity house on the west side of campus and other fraternity and sorority houses along University Avenue.