SU GO Your Own Way
- Self-designed cross-cultural experiences during winter or summer break must be approved in advance by the Office of Cross-Cultural Programs in order to serve as a prerequisite for the SU Cross-Cultural Reflection requirement. Examples include internships, volunteer service, independent study in a cross-cultural setting and participation in a non-SU short-term study-away program. Appropriate Susquehanna department chair(s) pre-approval is required for courses taken on a non-SU study-away program that will fulfill major or minor requirements at Susquehanna. Pre-approval from the university's Curriculum Committee must be secured for courses taken off campus that will fulfill Central Curriculum requirements. Students also must complete required waiver and other forms before leaving campus. Guidelines for proposing a self-designed experience are available in the Office of Cross-Cultural Programs. Financial aid is not typically available for such experiences.
- Limited need-based aid may be available to attend non-SU short-term programs. To access need-based financial aid for off-campus study, students must:
- Complete the standard financial aid application, meeting university deadlines;
- Provide documentation of all expenses they expect to incur in studying away from Susquehanna, including transportation, room, board and other academically required costs; and
- Meet or exceed the required grade point average and satisfactory academic progress requirements for renewal of scholarship assistance and/or need-based financial aid. NOTE: Most forms of SU-sponsored scholarship assistance (non-need-based aid) are not available to students on SU GO Short programs because these programs take place outside the traditional academic calendar.
3. Students participating in non-SU short-term programs pay all deposits and fees directly to that program. Students completing self-designed cross-cultural experiences pay all expenses directly as needed.