The Crusader Online

October 18, 2013
Vol. 55 No. 6

Top Stories
Living & Arts

Current Issue

Search the Archives

SU Home Page

Field hockey defeats Wilkes

Riding a five-game losing streak, the Susquehanna field hockey team used two first-half goals to earn a 2-1 victory over Wilkes. It was the team's first victory since Sept. 25 at Lebanon Valley.
Susquehanna (7-8 overall, 0-4 Landmark) struck early and often, scoring two goals within the first 20 minutes of the game.
Susquehanna's first goal came in the 11th minute when senior back Nancy Heidt found junior forward Brodie Ercole, who calmly put the ball in the back of the net.
The Crusaders continued to put pressure on Wilkes (3-10, 1-2 Freedom), creating several more chances immediately following Ercole's goal.
In the 12th minute, sophomore midfielder Katherine Millett was able to break free and get a shot off that forced a save by Wilkes sophomore goalie Alexis Reed.
Then in the 13th minute, senior midfielder Rebecca Marion was able to get a shot off only to be blocked by a defender.
Despite Wilkes best efforts, the Crusaders were finally able to break through for the second time in the 16th minute.
Instead of assisting on the goal, Ercole was able to score a goal of her own when freshman forward Emily Novakovich picked her out, putting Susquehanna up 2-0.
Even though the Crusaders couldn't find the back of the net for the rest of the half, it wasn't for a lack of trying.
In the 27th minute, sophomore forward Alison Caulfield put a shot on goal that forced a save by Reed.
Reed was tested again in the dying seconds of the half when Millett made another bid for her first goal of the game.
The Crusaders continued to press in the second half, but to no avail.
Instead of the Crusaders breaking through the defense, it was Wilkes that broke through and scored.
Searching for the goal that would cut the deficit to one, Wilkes finally found it in the 62nd minute when senior midfielder Ashley Ream broke through and finished it off.
Ream had been able to pick her way through the Susquehanna defense earlier in the half in the 59th minute, but was unable to convert when Susquehanna senior goalie Margaret Ruth made the save.
However, Ream made sure to convert this time.
Ream was able to get to a rebound and knocked the ball in.
Even with the momentary defensive lapse, Susquehanna's defense held strong the rest of the half and preserved a 2-1 win.
Susquehanna finished the game with a slight edge in shots, 17-14, but failed to create more penalty corners than Wilkes, who held an 11-6 advantage in that department.
Ruth recorded four saves in the victory, while her counterpart, Reed, finished with six.
The Crusaders next game is a conference tilt against Scranton on Oct. 19 at 1 p.m. at Sassafras Field.


Field hockey defeats Wilkes

Soccer loses on special day, 3-1

Pirates reach postseason for first time since 1992 season

Men's rugby keeps Bisonader Cup in triumph over Bucknell

Catholic snaps winning streak

Eberhardt leads Crusaders to win

SU competes in California, loses three straight

Versatile Amato leading by example


Top Stories | News | Living & Arts | Forum | Sports