The Crusader Online

October 18, 2013
Vol. 55 No. 6

Top Stories
Living & Arts

Current Issue

Search the Archives

SU Home Page

Catholic snaps winning streak

Riding a three-game winning streak that included two consecutive conference wins, the Susquehanna men's soccer team's momentum was halted by the Catholic Cardinals, 2-1, on Senior Day Saturday at Sassafras Field in a key Landmark Conference tilt for both teams.
The Cardinals raced out to a 2-0 lead with one goal in the first half and another goal in the second half.
The goal in the first half was scored by junior midfielder Hunter Horvath within the first twenty minutes of the game. Horvath was able to put the ball in the back of the net when he was able to get a head to a cross by senior defender Kevin Romano.
Catholic (8-3-2 overall, 2-0-1 Landmark) struck quickly in the second half when they were able to unlock the Susquehanna (7-4-1, 2-2) defense for the second time in the game, with Romano scoring a goal of his own.
Despite the hole they were in, the Crusaders weren't going to give up without a fight. Just a minute after Catholic took a 2-0 lead off of the goal by Bartolomeo, Susquehanna came up with a goal of their own when senior forward Patrick Fry took a shot from around midfield that ended up beating Catholic junior goalie Torsten Meuschke.
"Even though we were down two it didn't seem like it because of the way we picked ourselves up and got that goal back," coach Jim Findlay said.
The Crusaders continued to pressure the Catholic defense in search of the tying goal. In the 58th minute, senior midfielder Andrew Murphy attempted to score with a shot that was on goal, but was saved by Meuschke.
The Crusaders weren't done yet, however, as they attempted six shots in an eight-minute span. Senior midfielder John Boylan was able to get a shot off in the 73rd minute, but Meuschke made the save.
The Crusaders continued to make Meuschke work as the second half moved along.
Despite the odds, Susquehanna continued to fire shots at the goal. Both Fry and junior midfielder Kyle Semmel got off shots, but the attempts sailed wide of the mark.
Susquehanna had two final chances in the last eight minutes to tie the game up and force it into overtime. In the 82nd minute, Meuschke was forced to make a save on a shot by sophomore midfielder Samuel Tana.
Susquehanna's last chance to tie it came in the 86th minute when Murphy tried to be the hero, but his shot failed to challenge Meuschke as the shot sailed wide.
With the loss, Susquehanna's three-game unbeaten streak was snapped.
The Crusaders will look to rebound when they travel to Scranton on Oct. 19 for another conference match-up.


Field hockey defeats Wilkes

Soccer loses on special day, 3-1

Pirates reach postseason for first time since 1992 season

Men's rugby keeps Bisonader Cup in triumph over Bucknell

Catholic snaps winning streak

Eberhardt leads Crusaders to win

SU competes in California, loses three straight

Versatile Amato leading by example


Top Stories | News | Living & Arts | Forum | Sports