The Crusader Online

February 01, 2008
Vol. 49 No. 13

Top Stories
News
Living & Arts
University Update
Forum
Sports

Current Issue

Archives
Search the Archives

SU Home Page

Sports Shots

Perfection is a possibility for Woods in the future

With the Patriots on the verge of perfection -- potentially becoming only the second team in NFL history to reach such a feat -- why don't we keep the ball rolling in 2008?

After destroying the field by eight strokes at last weekend's Buick Invitational, his fourth- straight win at the event, Tiger has a chance to do something even he once thought impossible: win the Grand Slam of golf.

But as impressive as winning The Masters, U.S. Open, British Open and PGA Championship would be, let's go a step further. Why not pull a New England and run the table? Win them all.

What may have been the greatest season in the PGA was in 1945, when Byron Nelson won 18 tournaments, including 11 straight.

But never in Tiger's already-storied career has he even come close to perfection. In his best season to date in 2000, he chalked up nine wins but still lost 11 times. Only two years ago in 2006 did he win more than he lost, when he won eight of the 15 events that he entered. For his career, he's won a little more than 37 percent of the tournaments he's entered, leaving a 63 percent losing rate.

Woods has already proclaimed that he is playing the best golf of his career, which is a scary thought for the rest of the PGA Tour. Since August, Tiger's won five of six official PGA starts.

This season, we're primed to see the world's best golfer demolish single-season records. Since he is healthy for the first time in years and is looking for a major sweep, Tiger seems ready to play about 16 events this season.

Looking at his schedule, only two of the tournaments he is expected to enter has he failed to win. He has not captured the trophy in his own AT&T National and The Barclays. The AT&T debuted last year while The Barclays is a FedEx Cup playoff tourney he hasn't had to enter.

A call for perfection -- 16 of 16 -- for one golfer may be unlikely, even for Tiger Woods. In that 2004 season, Tiger won just one event while battling knee injuries and swing renovations. Anything less than a Patriot-like effort may be just as disappointing of a season as the Patriots going 18-1 and not winning the Super Bowl.

Woods is the most physically skilled athlete to ever play the game and the most driven to win. The most complete player in history, he can win on any course and can get out of any trouble he may rarely get himself into. He can drive the ball better than anyone, hit approach shots with the most eloquent touch and sink 65-foot putts like it's a tap-in for birdie.

No one else in any sport has ever been more dominant.

On Sunday, Brady and the gang will try to become a dynasty in the NFL. Whether they win or not, all eyes will turn from the NFL and straight to Tiger's personal pursuit of perfection.

He's 1-0 on the season. Just a few more victories, and perfection talk will again sweep the nation.

WEEKLY FEATURES

News

Living & Arts

University Update

Forum

Sports

Top Stories | News | Living & Arts | University Update | Forum | Sports