March 26, 2010
Writer's 'mock draft' offers sneak peekHere's a look at what should happen in the upcoming April draft:
1. St. Louis Rams -- Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford: They've passed on Mark Sanchez and Matt Ryan in consecutive drafts; it is time to make a splash.
2. Detroit Lions -- Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh: While an offensive tackle might make more sense, this draft will definitely please any remaining Lions fans.
3. Tampa Bay Bucs -- Oklahoma DT Gerald McCoy: The Bucs would love for McCoy, who they have rated higher than Suh, to fall in their laps.
4. Washington Redskins -- Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen: New coach, new QB.
5. Kansas City Chiefs -- Oklahoma State offensive tackle Russell Okung: They've invested a lot of money in Matt Cassell, they might as well protect him.
6. Seattle Seahawks -- Tennessee free safety Eric Berry: Pete Carrol nabs the draft's most talented player.
7. Cleveland Browns -- Florida cornerback Joe Haden: A strong Pro Day puts him back up at No. 7.
8. Oakland Raiders -- Maryland OT Bruce Campbell: Can Al Davis really be this dumb? Yes.
9. Buffalo Bills -- Iowa OT Bryan Bulaga: Not even Peyton Manning would be able to perform behind this offensive line; offensive tackle is a necessity.
10. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant: After signing defensive end Aaron Kampman, they can afford to take Bryant.
11. Denver Broncos -- Georgia Tech outside linebacker Derrick Morgan: Adding another pass-rusher opposite Pro Bowler Elvis Dumervil will strengthen this powerful defensive unit.
12. Miami Dolphins -- Texas FS Earl Thomas: This is a bit early for Thomas, but they need a FS after refusing to overpay for Antrel Rolle.
13. San Francisco 49ers -- Rutgers OT Anthony Davis: Selecting him will allow QB Alex Smith to stay standing long enough to hit Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree.
14. Seattle Seahawks -- Clemson running back CJ Spiller: Seattle's backfield is horrendous, and CJ Spiller is the top RB.
15. New York Giants -- Alabama LB Rolando McClain: He is the Giant's ideal pick, and will make an immediate impact.
16. Tennessee Titans -- South Florida DE Jason Pierre-Paul: He drops a bit here, but with Kyle Vanden Bosch off to Detroit, the Titans are happy to scoop up this athletic freak.
17. San Francisco 49ers -- Texas OLB Sergio Kindle: It'll be up to Kindle to ignite a stagnant 49ers pass rush.
18. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Idaho offensive guard Mike Iupati: The Steelers would gladly scoop up this year's top interior lineman.
19. Atlanta Falcons -- Missouri OLB Sean Weath-erspoon: He's a high-character guy, and will provide them with a defensive playmaker.
20. Houston Texans -- Boise State CB Kyle Wilson: They reach a bit here for Wilson, but they must make up for the loss of CB Dunta Robinson.
21. Cincinnati Bengals -- Michigan OLB/DE Brandon Graham: Graham would provide this abysmal defensive line with a dominant pass-rusher.
22. New England Patriots -- Oklahoma tight end Jermaine Gresham: Benjamin Watson's departure makes this pick a necessity.
23. Green Bay Packers -- Oklahoma OT Trent Williams: The Packers need to address their offensive line problems.
24. Philadelphia Eagles ---Everson Griffen USC DE: The Eagles could use another DE to work opposite Trent Cole.
25. Baltimore Ravens ---Tennessee DT Dan Williams: The Ravens acquisition of Anquan Boldin has effected the defense; they are now free to acquire defensive depth.
26. Arizona Cardinals -- USC OT Charles Brown: With Nick Lachey's wingman Matt Leinart under center, they need somebody to block.
27. Dallas Cowboys -- Florida OG/center Maurkice Pouncey: Dallas finally put it all together last year and now have the luxury of acquiring a super sub in Pouncey.
28. San Diego Chargers -- Alabama NT Terrance Cody: The man they call "Mt. Cody" has been criticized for his weight, but with the departure of DT Jamal Williams, Cody takes priority over a new RB.
29. New York Jets -- Notre Dame WR Golden Tate: Rex Ryan is feeling sassy after weight loss surgery and gives Mark Sanchez a new offensive weapon to play with.
30. Minnesota Vikings -- UCLA DT Brian Price: The Vikes take Price as insurance to the Williams brothers for the middle of their D-line.
31. Indianapolis Colts -- Florida St. CB Patrick Robinson: After losing CBs Marlin Jackson and Tim Jennings to free agency, the Colts reach a little bit to take Robinson.
32. New Orleans Saints --- Florida DE Carlos Dunlap: After letting Charles Grant go, the Super Bowl champs will take a risk on Dunlap, who's talented enough to make an immediate impact.
WEEKLY FEATURESNewsLiving & ArtsUniversity UpdateForumSports