Math 353 Fall 2012
Instructor: Jeff Graham
Office: Fisher 312
Hours: M 9-10,WF 2-3 or by appt.
Text: Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos Strogartz
Grades: Your grade will be determined using a 10 point scale. There will
be three exams,a final exam/project, and a group project grade.
Each component of your grade
has equal weight, i.e. each exam is 20%, the project grade is 20%, and the final project is 20%.
If we have a final project, there will be a separate handout describing the details of the final project in a few weeks, look for it a little before midterm.
The attendance policy in the student handbook will be followed.
Any incidents will be handled as described in the student handbook.
- You should attend all class meetings.
- All homework is due at the beginning of class on the due date given,
unless I specify otherwise. I am not accepting late homework.
- Likewise, there will be no make-up exams except in very rare cases.
- We will use Matlab. More later on this subject.
- We will be learning to use a software package called LaTeX. It is a typesetting package for mathematics.
Here are some links that you might find useful.
- Some potentially useful and interesting links.
- Do to concern about the potential for a nasty flu pandemic, we all need to be extra careful about spreading
our germs around. In particular, if you have a fever or even think you might have a fever, you are to stay
in your dorm room and call health services. Please do not come to class if your are feeling ill! I will
be a little more generous in the attendance and make-up policies this semester. On the other hand, you will not get out
of any work by either being sick or pretending to be. Everything you miss will be made up, and of course you
will have to catch up to the class as well.