TitleAbout - 0 29330

Frequently Asked Questions




Q: What is the H1N1 virus—formerly known as “swine flu”? How is it spread? What are its symptoms? How can I protect myself and my family from getting it?
A: For general questions about H1N1 flu, we recommend the information provided by the Centers for Disease Control here. Additional information can be found at the Web sites listed at the end of this page.

Q: What is Susquehanna University doing to prepare for a potential outbreak of swine flu on campus?
A: The university has implemented its crisis management plan, which includes engaging a dedicated committee that meets regularly to assess the situation. We are closely monitoring developments globally, nationally and locally as circumstances evolve, and working closely with local, state and federal officials to stay current.

The university has a detailed plan in place to respond to students who are presenting with symptoms and to keep others healthy. Students with suspected H1N1 flu will be separated from other students until a parent or guardian arrives to take them home, where they can recover comfortably. If it is not feasible for a sick student to return home, the university will make arrangements to isolate the student during recovery. Faculty members are developing methods to enable ill students to stay current with important class work while they recover at home.

Q: How will SU communicate information about the swine flu?
A: Susquehanna has sent letters to parents and students and will continue such communications as appropriate. The university also maintains a Web page dedicated to H1N1 developments here, which is updated as information changes. The Web page includes links to other helpful sites, including that of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Every student received an informational brochure during move-in for the fall semester. Updates are also distributed via e-newsletters to parents and the campus community. WQSU, the student radio station, runs public service announcements to encourage everyone on campus to be mindful of flu containment. Posters and other displays about prevention are in residence hall and public bathrooms, dining areas and other highly visible locations around campus.

Q: Will SU communicate the number of cases reported on campus?

A: The Health Center will tally the number of students presenting with a fever and flu-like symptoms and make this information available to the public.

Q: Will vaccinations be available on campus?

A: Annual influenza vaccination is the most effective method for preventing influenza virus infection and its complications. All students are encouraged to receive seasonal Influenza A vaccine. We also will make all efforts to obtain and distribute H1N1 vaccine, as it becomes available, for our student population. Its release is expected by mid-October. At some point during the fall semester, vaccination clinics will be available at Susquehanna University and within the surrounding community.


Q: If I start to feel sick, whom should I tell? What if the Health Center is closed?

A: Students who have flu-like symptoms—fever of 100 F or greater, cough, muscle aches, fatigue—should call or visit the Health Center. If students call the Health Center after hours, calls will be an-swered by Evangelical Hospital staff, who will notify on-call Health Center staff as quickly as possible.
If a student isn’t sure symptoms merit contacting the Health Center, he or she should talk it over with an RA, faculty member, coach, work supervisor or public safety officer.

Q: Can I just go home if I have my own car, or call my parents and have them come get me, without reporting to the Health Center?
A: No. Please let the Health Center or a student life staff member know, so they can provide advice and assistance. It is also important for them to know with whom you have been in contact, as these people might also be affected.

Q: My roommate has symptoms but won’t go to the Health Center. What should I do?
A: You should let an RA or student life staff member know of your concerns.

Q: What should I do if a student I don’t know—in a class, at the gym, etc. –is showing obvious symp-toms but shrugs it off when I suggest a visit to the Health Center?
A: Again, please share your concerns with an RA or student life staff member.


Q: If my student becomes ill, how will he/she be cared for until I can get to campus?

A: Symptomatic students will be asked to remain in their residence hall rooms or in special accommodations at 610 University Ave. until a parent or guardian can make arrangements to get them. Because the illness can last up to seven days, the majority of students will be most comfortable recuperating at home. This will also minimize the risk to the rest of the community.

Q: What if I can’t get there to pick up my student right away?
A: Our expectation is that parents will make timely arrangements for their students to return home, but we will work with you to accommodate extenuating circumstances.

Q: What if I live too far away from campus to retrieve my son or daughter, or other extenuating circumstances such as pregnancy or the presence of a high-risk family member make it impossible or not advisable to bring my son or daughter home?
A: In such extenuating circumstances, students with a suspected case of H1N1 will be placed in empty student living quarters, if available, or in special accommodations at 610 University Ave. for the duration of their illness.

Q: How will my healthy student be protected from a sick roommate?
A: As noted above, students who are identified by the Health Center as likely flu patients will be isolated from other, healthy students until a parent or guardian arrives to take them home. Healthy students who are concerned about contagions in their living quarters can obtain a mask from their RA and should continue appropriate prevention measures such as washing hands and covering coughs. Roommates of students who have been diagnosed with influenza-like illness should expect to be contacted by the Health Center. They do not need to seek health care, however, unless they have flu-like symptoms or an underlying, compromising chronic illness.

Q: How can I protect myself and other family members while our sick student recovers at home?
A: When you pick up your student, the Health Center will provide you with a kit containing information about how to care for your student and protect your family.

Bookmark and Share