Software Requirements (2014-15)
Susquehanna students bringing their own computers to campus will need the following software.
Windows Platform (PC)
Operating systems that are compatible for use at Susquehanna University
- Microsoft Windows 8 or 8.1 Professional (recommended)
- Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (recommended)
- Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Vista Business
- Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
One of the operating systems listed above is required to take advantage of the available network resources on campus. Some of these resources include Internet access, use of network shares (including home drives), the ability to join the domain and access to network printers. A download of Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (student license) may be purchased at an educational price from the JourneyEd Select Student Store. The cost is about $70 (digital download).
- Microsoft Windows 8 or 8.1**
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium **
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium **
Operating systems marked with (**) indicate that they will work on the SU network with limited capacity. Only Internet access will be available.
Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows are compatible.
Operating systems that are not compatible for use at Susquehanna University
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic
- Microsoft Windows 7 Starter or Home Basic
- Microsoft Windows Server (Any Version)
- Beta/Developer editions of unreleased versions of Microsoft Windows
- Obsolete Versions of Windows (95, 98, ME, NT4, 2000, XP)
Computers with these operating systems will not be able to access the Internet or the Susquehanna University network due to software or configuration limitations.
Microsoft Office 365 University: Microsoft Office Professional 2013 is included with the Microsoft Office 365 University product. Use of the Microsoft Office suite, including Microsoft Word, is required for most classes at Susquehanna. Some majors require new students to take a class that includes a hands-on introduction to word processing, email, spreadsheet modeling and more, using the Microsoft Office suite. Microsoft Office can be purchased at a considerably discounted educational price from the JourneyEd Select Student Store. The cost is about $80 (digital download). The pricing structure is modeled on a four-year subscription plan, allowing the installation on two computers and offering free version upgrades during that time period. Other incentives from Microsoft are offered including cloud storage, online applications and Skype calling. After four-years, the software will need to be renewed or else it will become non-functioning.
Macintosh OS X: Macintosh OS X (10.7 or above) is necessary to take advantage of the available network resources on campus. If possible, we recommend OS X 10.9 (Mavericks). A Mavericks upgrade can be purchased from the Apple App Store for free (digital download). Mac OS X 10.6 or earlier versions are not compatible with the Susquehanna University network. Beta/developer editions of unreleased Mac OS X versions are not supported. Mac OS X Server (any version) is not permitted.
Microsoft Office 365 University: Office 2011 for Macintosh, included with Microsoft Office 365 University, is critical for Mac users at Susquehanna. This software is compatible with our email system and produces files that can be read by either PCs or Macs. Microsoft Office 365 may be purchased at a considerably discounted educational price from the JourneyEd Select Student Store. The cost is about $80 (digital download). The pricing structure is modeled on a four-year subscription plan, allowing the installation on two computers and offering free version upgrades during that time period. Other incentives from Microsoft are offered including cloud storage, online applications and Skype calling. After four years, the software will need to be renewed or else it will become non-functioning.
Symantec Endpoint Protection
Virus protection is required on all computers connected to the campus network—both for PCs and MACs. Susquehanna provides Symantec Endpoint Protection to all students, faculty and staff free of charge. Using the provided software allows Susquehanna to automatically provide daily antivirus updates to your computer while you are on campus. (Important note: Use of Susquehanna's antivirus software is required. Any other software must be removed when you use the network.)
Susquehanna provides access to course specific software in the public computer labs. However, you may want to consider purchasing any of the following software based on your major, minor or personal interests:
- Adobe Creative Cloud Student and Teacher Edition (One Year Subscription) - (Mac/Win)
- Used in several digital art and communications courses, the Adobe Creative Cloud subscription offers Adobe’s entire collection of creative tools for a monthly fee (Photoshop, Encore, Illustrator, Fireworks, InDesign, Flash Builder Premium, Dreamweaver, After Effects, InCopy, Premiere Pro, Lightroom, Muse, Media Encoder, Acrobat Pro, Prelude, Audition, SpeedGrade and Bridge). It is available, academically priced, from the Select Student Store for $19.99 per month.
- Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2013
- Microsoft Visual Studio is used in many computer science courses. Visual Studio is currently available upon request from the IT Help Desk at no additional cost for current students. This complimentary license is intended only for academic use and is only valid as long as our current Microsoft licensing terms permit.
Additional software is available at educational discounts from the JourneyEd Select Student Store. Please note: Because all software sold from the Select Student Store is priced for educational discounts, they require proof of academic enrollment. A faxed or emailed copy of a student ID or university acceptance letter will prove academic status. The contact information for JourneyEd is:
Microsoft Office requires an additional verification process to activate the software:
- Go to www.office.com/verify and enter the PIN located inside the package.
- Log on with your Windows Live ID or create one using any email address.
- Provide your school email address or logon, or international student identity card (ISIC).