TitleAbout - 0 34856

Health & Safety


What is security like on campus?

  1. All residence halls are locked and can only be accessed with a key card.
  2. In an emergency, all residence halls and academic buildings can be locked from the Office of Public Safety.
  3. A Short Message System, or SMS, is used to send text messages that instantly alert the Susquehanna community to crises, including weather-related emergencies.
  4. Emergency blue lights and call boxes are located at key locations across campus.
  5. Public address/warning system
    • Susquehanna University has in place two outdoor warning sirens/public address units. In the event of an emergency that urgently threatens the safety of those outdoors on campus, the university may sound the sirens. The siren tones are designed to be quite loud and distinct, and should easily be heard by individuals who are outdoors.
  6. In an effort to effectively communicate about ongoing criminal investigations, the Department of Public Safety has created a Crime Alerts Page. This page is designed to keep the SU community informed of any suspicious or criminal activity that occurs on or near campus so individuals are aware of and can avoid potential danger.
  7. An anonymous tips page is available to anyone who witnesses or suspects wrongful activity on campus.

What vaccinations are required/recommended during college?
The CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices has created a guideline identifying required and recommended immunizations for students entering college. We follow these guidelines very closely. The Susquehanna University Health Record identifies those immunizations. The immunizations that are deemed “required” must be completed prior to entering the residence halls in August.

Are annual physicals required?
Annual physicals are not required. However, we will certainly accept updated information from the student’s family physician.

What if my student gets sick? Am I contacted?
If a student becomes ill, he or she should contact the Health Center for an appointment with our physician or nurse. The appointment would be comparable to seeing your family physician, during which time the student’s condition is assessed and a plan of care is offered. This may include diagnostic testing or a prescriptive medication. If the student has an underlying chronic condition, such as diabetes or Crohn’s disease, we typically see the student in the acute phase only. Medication and treatment plans for those with chronic illness are coordinated by the student’s specialist, but we will assist if needed. Our student’s have excellent communication skills, and most prefer to notify a parent if they’re seen at the Health Center. However, Health Center personnel can only share medical information with a parent if the student signs a “consent to release information” form. The parent should call to obtain that information.

Is there a hospital nearby?
There are three hospitals within 20 miles of campus. The largest is Geisinger Medical Center, with whom SU’s medical staff coordinates referrals for specialists.

Can the Health Center store certain prescription drugs for my child?
The Health Center does not store any personal medications for students; nor do we accept personal deliveries of medication. As a courtesy to our students, the Health Center does offer a small pharmacy of basic medications (mostly antibiotics). These medications are purchased at low costs and these cost-savings are shared with the student. If a student has a prescription plan that is cheaper, we will gladly call in that prescription to a local pharmacy of the student’s choice.

How can I arrange for a prescription refill for my child?
We do have a small pharmacy, and our physician can order medications that can be filled at our Health Center or a local pharmacy. Student drivers can assist the student to get to a pharmacy. A family physician may call in a prescription to any local pharmacy as well.

Bookmark and Share