Center for Civic Engagement
Located in the social hub of campus, the Center for Civic Engagement is in many ways the hub of social responsibility at Susquehanna. Here, on the lower level of Degenstein Campus Center, students find direction for their desires to change the world—or simply affect a small part of it.
It’s a “roll up your sleeves” type of place, where students and staff lead by example and learn by doing. Throughout the year, the center facilitates programs ranging from fund drives to training events to volunteer activities.
The end goal is to help create engaged, enlightened and reflective citizens with a lifelong passion for service.
Based on the understanding that civic engagement is a vital part of a liberal arts education, the Center for Civic Engagement is committed to providing opportunities that allow students, faculty and staff to learn about and reflect upon their roles as active, informed citizens within the community. By fostering a campus culture that inspires civic leadership and social responsibility, the Center for Civic Engagement continuously supports the mission of Susquehanna University.
The Center for Civic Engagement strives to:
- Encourage students to live engaged, enlightened and reflective lives evident of a social and environmental conscience.
- Promote exploration and understanding of local and global citizenship.
- Foster the understanding of the complexity and enormity of social issues facing local community, country and world at large.
- Further development of sensitivity to the human condition.
- Cultivate a value for a life-long commitment to service.
- Define the term “civic engagement” as recognized by the university.
President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll
Susquehanna University has been named to this honor roll for the fifth consecutive year and received the honor with distinction for the first time. More »