When in Doubt, Consult
If you have specific questions about a student, or are unsure about whether or how to approach this individual to make a referral, call the Counseling Center during business hours at 570-372-4751, indicate that you are concerned about a student, and ask to speak to an available counselor. Usually the staff member on emergency duty will either be available or will call you back as soon as possible. The Counseling Center staff member can help you:
- Assess the seriousness of the situation;
- Learn about resources, both on and off campus, so that you can provide the student with potential options for obtaining assistance;
- Decide how best to initiate the referral process;
- Clarify your own feelings regarding the student and consider how you can be most effective.
- Although we cannot ask a student to come in for services, in some circumstances we can reach out to a student to let him/her know that you have been concerned and provide information about our services. If we assess an imminent danger, we will contact Public Safety or police to assist.