How to Make a Referral
Once you have decided to refer a student to the Counseling Center (570-372-4751), you can proceed in any of the following ways:
- Suggest that the student call or walk in to arrange for an initial consultation during office hours (Level 1).
- Suggest that the student call to arrange for an initial consultation while the student is still with you. When the call is made with you, you know that at least the initial contact has been made. By making the call him/herself, however, the student is exercising personal responsibility and is more likely to follow through to get help. In addition, your willingness to let him/her handle this part of the process is a vote of confidence and affirms his/her positive coping capacities (Level 1 or 2).
- Call the Counseling Center yourself, while the student is still with you, and help the student arrange an initial appointment. If you feel this is an emergency situation, please indicate this when you contact us.
- Indicate your willingness to the student to provide the Counseling Center with information about the nature of the problem and the reason for your referral. This should be done only with the student’s consent.
- In an immediate emergency (i.e. Level 3) in which you are present with the student, you may decide to accompany the student to the Counseling Center or to the nearest emergency room. This can be a significant support to someone in crisis. Often just coming into the building and setting up a same-day appointment helps to contain an emergency and it allows us to do a rapid assessment. If possible, a call that you are bringing a student in is helpful.
- If you are aware of an immediate emergency and you are not with the student, call Public Safety first at 570-372-4444 and ask for assistance in locating the student. If you are unsure, call the Counseling Center to consult regarding options.