Special Endowment Funds
The Arlin M. Adams Center for Law and Society was created by the Sigfried and Janet Weis family and the Degenstein Foundation, with additional support from the Annenberg Foundation, to honor Judge Arlin M. Adams H'85, a prominent jurist dedicated to public service and a longtime friend of Susquehanna University. The Center focuses on the law and its impact on people and institutions, providing a rich learning and experiential resource for students, faculty and members of the community. A core component of the Center is an annual lecture featuring prominent leaders and scholars speaking on critical first amendment issues.
The Neysa Adams Endowment for Legal Services was established in 2005 by the Honorable Arlin M. and Mrs. Adams, with support from the Degenstein Foundation, to further the mission of the Arlin M. Adams Center for Law and Society. The fund will support a pro-bono legal program to serve members of the faculty, students and persons in the community who require legal services but are unable to pay for such services.
The Samuel Adams Unrestricted Endowment was established through the estate of Mr. Adams for unrestricted use by Susquehanna University.
The Claude G. Aikens '11 Business Fund was established by the family for use within the Department of Business Administration.
The William R. Aikey Memorial Endowment was established in 1982 in honor of William Aikey, director of the Susquehanna University physical plant, who died after a long battle with cancer. Income from this fund is to be used to support a facilities employee who has suffered or overcome some hardship.
The Dorothy M. Anderson '62, H '02 Endowment for Student Life was established by Dorothy M. Anderson '62, H '02, whose distinguished career at Susquehanna University spanned 35 years and concluded in 2002 as dean of student life. The fund was established to support promising initiatives in student services where the annual operating budget may not be sufficient to respond to immediate or developing needs. Earnings from the endowment may be used to support new or renewed initiatives in wellness, diversity, volunteer services, or other programs that promote student responsibility and development. In the area of wellness, programming might include initiatives to promote healthy choices or support drug and alcohol education. In the area of diversity, funding might advance mentoring, leadership development, or initiatives to establish Susquehanna as a more inclusive and welcoming community. Finally, recognizing Dean Anderson's personal commitment to volunteer service, earnings may be used to sustain and enhance Susquehanna's well-regarded student volunteer program.
The James '65 and Carole App Fund for Global Business Study was established in 2009 and funded through the generosity of Jim and Carole App of Selinsgrove, Pa. Jim graduated from Susquehanna in 1965 with a degree in Business Administration with a major in economics. An internship in the Selinsgrove Borough Managers Office in his senior year evolved into the full-time role as the Borough Manager, a position that Jim held from 1964 to 1972. He continued his leadership in the community over the next three decades through his career at L/B Water Service Inc., serving as president until his retirement in 2002. Through the years Jim and Carole have been great friends and supporters of Susquehanna University, establishing a scholarship endowment designed to support economics majors in their junior and senior years. The App Fund for Global Business Study is intended to support the efforts of the Sigmund Weis School of Business (SWSB) to provide students with experiences that expose them to international business and commerce in order to prepare them for success in a diverse, interconnected and highly competitive global marketplace. Money from this fund may be used to support students, faculty and programs in the SWSB Semester in London Program where students take courses and visit international enterprises within the context of the European Common Market. As program needs and opportunities evolve this fund may also support other programs in the future that promote a deeper understanding of international business.
The Douglas '49 and Lucille Arthur Endowment for the Director of Athletics was established by the Arthurs to support the position of athletic director at Susquehanna University. The endowment provides annual income to fund the cost of the position's salary and benefits. The fund may also support supplemental programming within the Athletic Department by providing funds to be used at the discretion of the athletic director, with approval of the president, to strengthen and/or expand areas within the university's athletic department mission including, but not limited to, coaches' salaries, additional staffing, travel and recruitment opportunities, and equipment needs.
The Douglas E. Arthur '49, H'96 Philanthropy Endowment was established by Lucille M. Arthur in honor of her husband, Douglas E. Arthur, for his many contributions to and lifelong involvement with Susquehanna University including over thirty years of service on the board of directors. Income from this endowment shall be used for the annual maintenance and upkeep of the Susquehanna Society Recognition Plaza, the construction of which was also funded through a generous gift by Mrs. Arthur in honor of her husband. The mission of the plaza, in recognition of Mr. Arthur's work with the institution, is to promote and foster philanthropic support for Susquehanna University.
The Katharine Heldt Aucker '44 Endowment was established by bequest for use by the university.
The Aungst Physical Plant Fund was established by Donald and Freni Aungst to support the physical plant operation at Susquehanna.
The Baylor Family Endowment was established in 1993 by family members as an expression of their appreciation for the university's continued commitment to the region. Reflecting their belief that personal development is essential to the educational process, income from this endowment will initially be expended on initiatives designed to enhance motivation, self-confidence, and leadership abilities in students, in and outside the classroom. In the year 2030, all restrictions on Susquehanna's use of the income will be eliminated, and the endowment will function as an unrestricted, named endowment fund.
The J. Edgar Bishop '25 Unrestricted Endowment Fund was established by a bequest from Mr. Bishop's estate and by members of Mr. Bishop's family. Income from the fund is to be used to support the university's highest priorities.
The H. Vernon '31 and Marie W. Blough Endowment Fund was created through the estates of Mr. and Mrs. Blough to provide annual support for the Blough-Weis Library, student financial aid and the university's Unrestricted Fund. In awarding income from the fund, 25% is to be expended annually to benefit the library, 25% for student financial aid and 50% for the university's Unrestricted Fund.
The Beatrice V. Bowman Endowment Fund was created in 1990 through the will of Beatrice V. Bowman. The fund is a memorial to Emory T. Bowman, Daisy M. Bowman and Robert T. Bowman '47. The income from this fund is to be spent at the discretion of the university to support the departments of History and Literature.
The Class of 1938 Faculty Research and Development Fund was established by members of the Class of 1938 in honor of their 50th reunion and provides development resources for the faculty's continued professional growth.
The Class of 1939 Susquehanna University Fund Endowment was established by the Class of 1939 in honor of its 50th reunion. Through this gift, the class endows, in perpetuity, a yearly gift to the annual Susquehanna University Fund (SUF) and thus provides a lasting remembrance of the Class of 1939. The SUF supports Susquehanna's highest priority needs in people, programs and facilities.
The Class of 1941 Unrestricted Endowment Fund was established by the members of the Class of 1941 in commemoration of the 50th reunion of their graduation from Susquehanna University and will provide a lasting remembrance of the Class of 1941. Income from the fund will be used to support the university's highest priority needs.
The Class of 1944 Unrestricted Endowment Fund was established by the members of the Class of 1944 in commemoration of the 50th reunion of their graduation from Susquehanna University. Income from the fund will be used to support the university's highest priority needs.
The Class of 1949 Unrestricted Endowment Fund was established in 1999 by the members of the Class of 1949 in commemoration of the 50th reunion of their graduation from Susquehanna University. Income from the fund is to be used to support the university's highest needs and priorities.
The Class of 1950 Endowment for the Sports and Fitness Complex was established in 2000 by the members of the Class of 1950 in commemoration of the 50th reunion of their graduation from Susquehanna University. Income from this fund is to be used to support the Sports and Fitness Complex.
The Class of 1952 Endowment for the Cunningham Center for Music and Art was established by the members of the Class of 1952 in commemoration of the 50th reunion of their graduation from Susquehanna University. Income from this fund is to be used to support the Cunningham Center for Music and Art.
The Class of 1954 Endowment Fund for the Benefit of Susquehanna University was established by members of the class in their 50th reunion year and shall be managed under the general endowment policy of the university. Income from the fund shall by used to supplement the general operating budget of the institution on a yearly basis and, preferably, be applied to special projects requiring additional annual fund support, such as strategic planning initiatives.
The Carolyn Bailey D'Alessandro Scholarship Endowment was established at Susquehanna University by Mrs. D'Alessandro, a member of the Class of 1951. It commemorates her belief in the importance of education and her desire to help deserving young people prepare themselves for lives of achievement and service.
The Charles B. Degenstein Campus Center Endowment was contributed by Charles B. Degenstein to support the Degenstein Campus Center.
The Charles B. Degenstein Endowments in Honor of Sigmund Weis were contributed by Mr. Degenstein to establish the Sigmund Weis School of Business in honor of his father-in-law, a member of the Class of 1903. The endowments provide direct support to the business school and also provide support for academic programs outside the school that are vital to the education of future business leaders.
The Charles B. Degenstein H'82 Endowment for the Business and Communications Center was established in 1999 by a generous bequest from Mr. Degenstein, a longtime director, benefactor and friend of the university. Income from the fund will provide for maintenance and equipment needs in this building which he made possible.
The Degenstein Endowment for "Charlie's" was contributed by Mr. Degenstein to provide supplementary funds for "Charlie's," an alcohol-free student entertainment center.
The Degenstein Center Theater and Lore Degenstein Gallery Endowment was created by Charles B. Degenstein H'82 to provide for maintenance, equipment and programming needs in the Degenstein Center Theater and Lore Degenstein Gallery.
The Charles B. and Lore A. Degenstein General Endowment for Academic and Student Programs was established by Mr. Degenstein in 1994 and provides support to programs that benefit students and faculty.
The Yvonne Young '94 Esworthy Women's Basketball Endowed Memorial Fund was inspired by a commitment to helping young people reach their full potential and a belief higher education prepares students for lives of achievement, leadership, and service, the family and friends of Yvonne Young '94 Esworthy established an endowed memorial fund to support the women's basketball program at Susquehanna University. The fund for the women's basketball program will provide financial support for equipment, travel, and other program expenses at the discretion of the director of athletics and the women's basketball coach.
The Robert L. and Linda Traub Fiscus Endowment for Service Learning was established in order to support student service projects and service learning at the University. This endowment is funded through the generosity of Robert L. Fiscus and Linda Traub Fiscus of Shelton, Conn.. Bob was a member of the varsity baseball team and the Phi Mu Delta fraternity while at Susquehanna and graduated from the university in 1959 with a degree in accounting. Linda, a member of the Alpha Delta Pi sorority, followed two years later earning her degree in english in 1961. Bob and Linda have been active in alumni activities with Bob serving as an alumni representative to the Susquehanna University Board of Directors. Recognizing the value of service in young lives and the synergy between their own ideals and the mission of Susquehanna University, Bob and Linda have generously chosen to establish this endowment. This fund shall be used to strengthen and support the ongoing programs and activities that directly engage students in meaningful service to others.
The Fund for Jewish Studies was established in 1998 by a generous gift from Robert and Patricia Weis. Income from the fund provides support for the university's Jewish Studies program.
The Russell and Signe Eva Gates Endowment for the Humanities was established in their memory in 1998 by their daughter, Signe '71, to celebrate their enduring affection for Susquehanna. Under the direction of the university's chief academic officer, endowment income is to be expended in support of the humanities for library-related needs and the development of the curriculum.
The Signe S. Gates Appreciation Fund was established in 2006 by Signe S. Gates, Class of 1971. This fund will support two programs: the WIT (Whatever It Takes) Program and the Signe S. Gates Awards Program. Signe is deeply committed to helping SU find ways to recognize and celebrate the work of Susquehanna's most important asset – its people. These recognition programs are open to SU employees and come with cash gifts.
The Miller H. Gerhardt '30 Endowment Fund was established by a bequest from Mr. Gerhardt.
The Albert F. Goetz Foundation Endowment was established for use by the university in the area of professional development.
The Gundaker Enrichment Fund was established in 2004 by Robert G. Gundaker, '64, and supports opportunities for students by supplementing internships or significant volunteer activities. Awards from the fund are intended to provide a range of experiential learning opportunities for students. Examples may include: 1) a non-paying internship position; 2) a paid internship in a location that's far from home, such that support would help to underwrite a student's transportation and/or living expenses; 3) an off-campus research assignment; and 4) a volunteer leadership or service learning experience. Students interested in such opportunities (or others) will be required to submit a proposal for review by a committee composed of its academic deans and the dean of student life.
The Jim '68 and Pamela Hall Cross-Cultural Endowment for Baseball was established by Jim Hall '68 and his wife, Pamela, in 2009 to provide members of the varsity baseball team with opportunities for cross-cultural experiences in accordance with the policies and curriculum of the university. Jim's desire to support the varsity baseball program at SU along with the appreciation he and Pam share for the university's commitment to preparing its students to be effective citizens in the global community have inspired them to establish this endowment. Income from this fund will be spent according to the university's endowment spending policy and used for team and player travel, housing, activities and other program expenses that support the cross-cultural learning goals of the curriculum.
The Robert and Jane Harding Unrestricted Endowment Fund was established in 1986 by Mr. and Mrs. Harding, parents of Scott Harding '88. The income is to be used to support the university's most urgent needs.
The Charles F. and Edna Etzrodt '49 Harkness Business Endowment was established in 1992 through a bequest from Charles F. Harkness to support business programs at the university.
The Leolin O. Hayes Humanities Endowment was established in 1990 by Mr. Hayes, a member of the Class of 1930, in recognition of his lifelong interest in the humanities and in teaching. Income from this fund is to be expended under the direction of the university's chief academic officer for any or all of the following purposes, according to current priorities: 1) faculty and curricular development within the university's humanities departments 2) library acquisitions in the humanities 3) financial aid for students who have demonstrated an interest in the humanities.
The Philip Hecht Scholarship was established by Mr. Philip Hecht, who was inspired by a commitment to helping young people reach their full potential and a belief that higher education prepares students for lives of achievement, leadership and service. This scholarship will be awarded to a promising student who demonstrates significant financial need. The recipient will be selected by the Office of Financial Aid. The Philip Hecht Scholarship is designed as a fund to be supported by the donor. It will be awarded to a first-year student who meets the above criteria and is renewable each academic year for a maximum of four years if the student continues to meet eligibility.
The Carl H. Hitchner '62 Safe Zone Endowment was established by the Carl H. Hitchner Foundation in 2008 to expand the Safe Zone network, which offers basic training on LGBT diversity issues to supportive community members. This fund will enhance current efforts by bringing people together for informal and formal gatherings, lectures, off-campus travel, and educational and training programs. As well, this fund will help to market and raise the visibility of the Safe Zone Project and related gay and lesbian issues. The goal of the Hitchner Safe Zone Endowment is to promote deeper conversation and communication around the kinds of challenges and opportunities new and existing students, faculty and staff face as sexual and gender minorities. Income from the fund may be used to: develop and implement a peer training program for LGBT faculty and staff to serve as mentors for LGBT students; provide and established funding stream institutionally for LGBT programming such as social events, field trips or bringing speakers to campus that are specifically focused on LGBT issues; and, partnering more purposefully with existing structures within the university (i.e. student groups, Office of Multicultural Affairs). A dedicated source of funding will help to integrate the many and varied projects and activities now taking place on Susquehanna's campus and provide for some flexibility to undertake new or expanded initiatives.
The Mahala Gladfelter Holzapple Fund was established in 1973 under the will of Dr. George E. Holzapple.
The Housley Archive Fund was established in support of the Susquehanna University archives located within the Blough-Weis Library.
The O. W. Houts Unrestricted Endowment was established in 1993 under the will of O. W. Houts. Income from this fund will support a variety of programs and projects at Susquehanna.
The Lawrence M. '43 and Louise Kresge '45 Isaacs Endowment for Music was established by Mr. and Mrs. Isaacs, members of the classes of 1943 and 1945, respectively. The fund is a reflection of the Isaacs' long-standing commitment to excellence in the music program at Susquehanna University, and recognizes the vital role the music program plays in the life of the university and of the surrounding community. In awarding income from the fund, two-thirds to four-fifths should be expended for music scholarships. The remaining income from the endowment may be expended for the professional development of music faculty members and/or music performance as proposed by the chair of the Department of Music and at the discretion of the dean of the School of Arts and Sciences and the provost.
The Alice Ann Patterson '58 Jacobs Music Endowment was funded by the estate of Mrs. Jacobs, a member of Susquehanna's board of directors and president of the American Association of University Women Educational Foundation. Income from this fund will be used for the benefit of the music program.
The Katie J. Kasinecz Fund for Graphic Design was established in 2006 by Robert and Susan Kasinecz to honor the memory of their daughter, Katie, who died on September 2, 2005 during her junior year at Susquehanna. She was passionate in her commitment to Susquehanna, to the graphic design program, and to the other students in her program. As a reflection of Katie's commitment to the graphic design program and to her fellow students, the income from this fund will be used to benefit all students in the program by subsidizing the cost of student submissions to graphic design competitions. Monies from this fund may also be used to purchase engraved awards for winners of the Katie J. Kasinecz Graphic Design Award. Should it be deemed by the faculty of the art department that funds are no longer needed for this purpose, the income from the fund may be used for a different but related purpose, with approval from the Office of the President.
The Euphemia Brown Kerns '14 Fund was established by bequest of her daughter, Martha E. Kerns, for use within the Department of Music.
The Douglas '80 and Elizabeth Holly Kniss Faculty and Student Collaborative Research Endowment was established in 2010 to commemorate Doug's lifelong dedication to scientific research and their commitment to Susquehanna University. The award will be given to faculty and students involved in biological and/or biochemistry research at Susquehanna. The endowment may support travel to professional research meetings for presentation, materials needed for research or student stipend support.
The Charles E. '31 and Mildred H. Kroeck Weber Chapel Endowment Fund was established through the estate of Mr. and Mrs. Kroeck to provide annual support for Weber Chapel activities, religious studies and chapel facility improvements.
The March Fund for Accounting was established in 1988 by Mr. and Mrs. Terry L. March '67. Income from this endowment is to be used for the enhancement of Susquehanna's accounting program as recommended by the dean of the Sigmund Weis School of Business and approved by the president. In selecting the most effective use of these funds, preference is to be given to support for activities which sustain the professional development of senior members of the accounting faculty and activities which assist accounting majors in preparing for the CPA examination.
The Alice Musselman '12 Music Fund was established by her bequest in 1987 for use within the Department of Music.
The Dr. Bruce L. Nary Visiting Artist Program was established in 2005 by a gift from his wife, Dorla. This fund was created to honor Dr. Nary's love of teaching, his love of Susquehanna University, and the significant contributions he made to the Department of Communications and Theatre during his 31-year career at Susquehanna. The Dr. Bruce L. Nary Visiting Artist Program was established for the purpose of bringing to campus recognized professionals in the field of theatre. The goal of the program is to enhance the educational experience of students and others who may benefit from participating in the workshops or attending presentation with the selected professionals. Should it be deemed by the faculty of the theatre department that this fund no longer meets the needs of the theatre program, this fund may be terminated with the approval of the Office of the President. In that event, all monies in this fund shall be added to the principal of the Dr. Bruce L. Nary Scholarship Fund.
The Harold C. and Nancy M. O'Connor Distinguished Achievement Fund was established in 1997 by Mr. and Mrs. O'Connor for the purpose of making a difference in the lives of Susquehanna's people, especially its students and faculty, so that they may in turn be able to make a difference in their communities. Recipients should be individuals who demonstrate qualities of leadership, such as academic ability, concern for others and a commitment to service. Income from the fund provides for significant annual scholarships to outstanding students who enroll as full-time undergraduates, with recipients to be known as the Harold C. and Nancy M. O'Connor Scholars, and to support the Harold C. and Nancy M. O'Connor Professorship for a distinguished faculty member who excels in teaching and scholarship.
The Ortenzio Family Endowment Fund for Entrepreneurship was established to support activities in Susquehanna's Sigmund Weis School of business connected to the topic of entrepreneurship. The Ortenzio family values the spirit of entrepreneurship, as it has been a core element contributing to the success of family enterprise since the 1960s. Entrepreneurship has also enabled extraordinary family philanthropy that has had significant and positive impact on institutions and people in the Harrisburg, Pa., area. Income from this permanent endowment fund, in accordance with the university's investment policy, is used to help students and faculty in a variety of ways, including: internships, travel, workshops, business ventures, equipment, software licensing, and/or visiting scholars/entrepreneurs.
The Richard H. Pohl Endowment Fund was established in 2003 by his son, Richard H. Pohl '79, in recognition of his father as a source of guidance and a positive role model. Income from the fund will be used by the Sigmund Weis School of Business to 1) provide financial aid to needy students who are enrolled in the business curriculum and/or 2) enhance the overall aesthetic quality of the business school physical plant. Recipients of scholarship support shall be selected by the Office of Financial Aid of Susquehanna University and preference shall be given to the most needy student(s) who would not be able to attend the university otherwise.
The Neil H. Potter "Helping Hands" Fund was created to help students who find themselves in need of extraordinary financial assistance during the academic year. Dr. Potter joined the Susquehanna chemistry department faculty in 1966 and spent his career serving the university, its students, and the Selinsgrove community.
The Presidential Discretionary Fund for Excellence was established by the board of directors of Susquehanna University in 1985 upon the occasion of the inauguration of Joel Cunningham as 13th president of Susquehanna University. Annual income from the fund provides funding for unique opportunities for the university's students and faculty.
The Florence and Saul Putterman Fund for the Visual Arts was established in 1986 by Florence Putterman, a member of the Susquehanna art faculty, and her husband, Saul, a member of Susquehanna's board of directors, to provide the university with resources for constructing a new visual arts facility, including appropriate gallery space to promote the visual arts. Until the university has appropriate funds in hand for construction of such a facility, income from the Putterman Fund will be available for expenditure to support the visual arts.
The Reece Family Endowment was established in 2006 with a gift from Bonnie Bucks '65 Reece and James S. Reece P'93. This endowment supports activities that benefit students as they enter the Susquehanna community: perhaps the most important transitional point during their four undergraduate years. The donors, distinguished in their careers as educators, place great value on the undergraduate experience afforded to students at Susquehanna. Their gift was also a special expression of appreciation for their son, Charles (Class of 1993), and his education at the university. Programs funded bring new students a more intentional and immediate sense of personal, social, and intellectual engagement with faculty, staff and other students during their first year. Common readings, shared co-curricular experiences, orientation programming, and meaningful and substantive engagement between faculty and first-year students are examples of fundable activities that enable the university to receive new students and orient them to the academic community and its expectations and responsibilities.
The Katherine P. Reed Music Fund was established by her bequest for use in the music program.
The Beatrice Rettinger '23 Endowment was established through the estate of Beatrice Rettinger for the general benefit of Susquehanna University.
The Rhoads and Sinon Endowment was established at Susquehanna in 1993 by the Harrisburg law firm through the work of Rhoads and Sinon partner, Frank J. Leber, a member of Susquehanna's class of 1964.
The Rocks Fund for Political Science was established in 1997 through a gift from Sandra M. Rocks '75 and her husband, Bernard M. Plum. The income from this fund is used annually to support the work of faculty and students in the Department of Political Science. Ms. Rocks, a political science major, created the fund as a special tribute to Professors James Blessing, Robert Bradford, Bruce Evans and Gene Urey.
The Christopher D. Rooke '82 Endowment for Broadcasting was established to underwrite WQSU operating expenses, including programming and equipment needs, as proposed by the station manager and approved by the university's academic vice president.
The Samuel D. Ross, Jr. '54 and Dorothy Apgar Ross '53 Humanities Fund. Established in 1997 through a gift from the Ross's and in response to a challenge grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, this fund supports humanities-based education at Susquehanna by providing for library resources, multimedia equipment, and faculty development funding.
The Alice B. Russ Endowment was through a bequest from the estate of Alice Russ for the general benefit of Susquehanna University.
The Dr. G. Edward Schweikert III Swimming Endowment was established in 2008 with the help of his wife, Mary Louise, his son, G. Edward Schweikert IV '95 and other supporters which include alumni and friends. The endowment honors Schweikert's successful career at Susquehanna University both as a professor in the Department of Psychology and as the university's first varsity swimming coach. Schweikert came to Susquehanna University in September 1970. He helped found club teams in 1977 which grew to the varsity teams in 1979. The endowment will support the varsity swimming program in ways that enhance the current program. Appropriate expenditures from this fund may include costs associated with travel, team building activities or other costs identified by the coach and director of athletics as promoting the interests of the swimming program.
The Alice Pope Shade Fund was established in 1983 by her daughter, Rebecca Shade Mignot. The income is available annually for discretionary use by the Department of Religion.
The Stephen R. Shilling '80 Memorial Fund was created to recognize the contributions of Steve Shilling, who died in May 2003, at age 45, after an 8-month battle with brain cancer. A member and vice chair of the university's board of directors, Mr. Shilling represented the third generation of his family to attend and graduate from Susquehanna. Income from this fund is used to support activities that enhance Susquehanna's presence in the Philadelphia/Camden/Southern New Jersey region. These may include (but are not limited to) school partnership programs, scholarships, internships, and alumni events. Expenditure of income is at the direction of the president of the university.
The Shilling-Camden Endowment was established in memory of Stephen R. Shilling, a 1980 graduate of Susquehanna, a member of the university's board of directors from 1997-2003, and the founding owner of the Camden Riversharks baseball club. This fund is used to support Camden-Susquehanna activities and programs through a relationship with the Camden City Public Schools that generates greater opportunities for students and teaching faculty, both in Camden and at Susquehanna.
The Erle I. Shobert Board of Directors Retreat Fund was established in memory of Erle I. Shobert, founder of Susquehanna University's board of director retreats. Erle saw the retreats as a way to mold members of the board, staff, faculty, student body and special friends together and strengthen them in the pursuit of the university's mission.
The Mary E. Spiggle '34 Endowment was established through the estate of Mary Spiggle for the general benefit of Susquehanna University.
The Clyde R. Spitzner '37 Fund was established by Dr. and Mrs. Gustave W. Weber in memory of a devoted alumnus, member of the board of directors and friend. The annual income provides a most valuable player trophy for the varsity football and men's varsity basketball teams.
The Charles Steele Fund was established by his bequest. The income is used by the university at its discretion.
The Eric N. Stein Fund for International Experience makes possible international internship or study experiences for students enrolled in Susquehanna University's Sigmund Weis School of Business. While the most likely pool of students able to benefit from these experiences consists of those who participate in the London semester program and who may choose to extend their overseas stay, any student in the Sigmund Weis School is eligible. Eligibility would derive from a combination of student application, academic record, academic standing, and recommendation, with preference given to students who financial need would otherwise prevent them from pursuing this type of international experience.
The Harold and Ethel L. Stellfox Visiting Scholars and Writers Program was established by their daughter, Jean Louise Stellfox, for the purpose of bringing to campus recognized novelists, poets, dramatists, short-story writers, nonfiction writers, and actors. The English department, in consultation with necessary members of the faculty and administration, shall use these funds to enhance the educational experience of students and others, who may generally benefit, for a single on-campus appearance, presentation, or lecture, short-term English seminars, or a semester-long English class by the chosen person having the above recognition.
The William Alfred Streamor '26 Endowment was established through a gift from W. Alfred Streamor for the general benefit of Susquehanna University. W. Alfred was a member of the Class of 1926 who was later elected to Susquehanna's board of directors.
The Summers Enrichment Fund, established in 2004 by James '64 and Barbara Evans '65 Summers, supports opportunities for students by supplementing internships or significant volunteer activities. Awards from the fund are intended to provide a range of experiential learning opportunities for students. Examples may include: 1) a non-paying internship position; 2) a paid internship in a location far from the student's home, such that support would help to underwrite transportation and/or living expenses; 3) an off-campus research assignment; and 4) a volunteer leadership or service learning experience. Students interested in such opportunities (or others) will be required to submit a proposal for review by a committee composed of academic deans and the dean of student life.
The Surdna Foundation Endowment was established in 1982 to support campus work opportunities for students with financial need.
The Susquehanna University Fund for Teaching in the Humanities was established in 1998 by the Arthur Vining Davis Foundations in Jacksonville, Florida. Income from the fund is to be used at the discretion of the university's dean of the School of Arts, Humanities and Communications to support curricular development and enhancements in teaching in the humanities.
The Susquehanna Sports Hall of Fame Fund for Athletics was established through a bequest from Samuel '41 and Eleanor Fletcher. Mr. Fletcher, a co-captain of the undefeated football team of 1940, was inducted into the Susquehanna Hall of Fame as a charter member in 1967.
The Ruth Larue '21 Thompson Fund was established by bequest, for discretionary use by the university.
The Ashley Tomlinson '97 Memorial Fund was established in 1997 in honor of Ashley Tomlinson, who died in an auto accident. A sitting area, which includes benches, plantings, and a plaque, was constructed in front of Shobert Hall in Ashley's memory. Income from this fund is used for the upkeep and maintenance of the memorial area.
The Tressler Accounting Endowment Fund was established in 1989 under the will of Allen C. Tressler '29. This fund provides support for the Tressler Distinguished Chair in Accounting, curricular development in the accounting program, and scholarship aid for students enrolled in and pursuing courses in accounting as their selected major of study. Scholarship awards are to be made with a preference given to full-time students from lower Northumberland County and upper Dauphin County who maintain a grade point average of 2.5 or more and who display financial need. Awards are made with a request that recipients shall, upon achieving earning capacity, make in gratitude an appropriate contribution to the scholarship fund.
The Vollkommer Family Endowment for Cross-cultural and Experiential Learning was established in 2011 by Denise and John Vollkommer and their son Thomas, Susquehanna University Class of 2012. The purpose of this fund is to provide financial support so that Susquehanna students can take advantage of cross-cultural experiences that will give them a deeper and more sophisticated understanding of the other cultures and help them more fully appreciate their relationship to the world. This fund will be invested and spent for its intended purposes according to the endowment policies of Susquehanna University. Income from this fund may be used for direct student support in the Global Opportunities program or similar successor programs that promote cross-cultural or experiential learning.
The Bruce and Helen Wagenseller Swim Team Fund was established in 2006 by a gift from Bruce and Helen Wagenseller. He was an associate professor and director of health and physical education at Susquehanna University from 1966 to 1988. The income from this endowed fund may be spent at the discretion of the coach of the swim team for what is deemed most useful or needed.
The George W. and Elizabeth H. Wagenseller Academic Program Endowment was established in 1981 by a bequest from George W. Wagenseller of Los Angeles, Calif. Income is to be used by the dean of the university for such special projects and purposes that may not be covered by the operating budget and which will benefit the academic program of the university.
The John H. '30 and Thelma I. Wall Endowment was established through the estate of John H. Wall for the general benefit of Susquehanna University.
The Norman E. Walz Endowment for Faculty Development was established in 1987 by a gift from the First National Trust Bank of Sunbury, as an expression of appreciation to the man whose distinguished career in banking spanned more than 40 years, culminating in his service as First National's president (1969-76). The bank also recognized his 18 years of service to the university as a member of its board of directors and as its treasurer (1961-79). Income from this fund is to be expended under the direction of the provost on activities which bring faculty members into direct, sustained contact with organizations beyond the academic environment, in the hope that exposure to new environments will enhance currency and vitality in scholarship and in teaching.
The Janet C. Weis Endowment for the Liberal Arts was established through a generous gift from the Degenstein Foundation in recognition of Mrs. Weis' deep and abiding commitment to literature and the arts. The endowment will support the writing program at Susquehanna.
The Williamson/Spitzner Unrestricted Endowment Fund was established in 1986 through a bequest by Ms. Elizabeth Williamson in honor and memory of Clyde R. Spitzner, Class of '37 and longtime member of Susquehanna's board of directors.
The Donald E. '50 and Flora Barnhart '51 Wissinger Humanities Fund was established in 1997 with a gift from Mr. and Mrs. Wissinger in response to a challenge grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities. This fund supports humanities-based education at Susquehanna by providing for library resources, multimedia equipment, and faculty development funding.