- Majors & Minors
- Study Abroad
- Academic Calendar
- Central Curriculum
- Course Catalog
- Blough-Weis Library
- Center for Academic Achievement
- Honors Program
- Summer Session
- Graduate Results
- Success Stories
- Career Development Center
- Centers and Lectureships
- Academic Resources
- Tuition & Financial Aid
- Admission Representatives by Region
- Housing & Dining
- Student Activities & Programs
- Fun On Campus
- Title IX
- Student & Campus Services
- Our Campus & Location
- Diversity Matters
- Our Leadership
- History and Traditions
- In the Community
- Title IX
We welcome the incoming class at this annual ceremony to open the university's academic year!
Our campus welcomes back throngs of alumni as they reunite and return home for a fall party weekend.
Faculty and staff serve students a carved turkey dinner with all the fixings in Evert Dining Room.
A cherished gathering that includes candle lighting and carols as well as traditional readings, songs and prayers.
Students and alumni alike step it up each April with volunteer service near campus and regions beyond.
Soon-to-be graduates showcase their academic achievements.
Our newest tradition! Show your Susquehanna pride by wearing our school colors on May 1.
President Lemons leads seniors to the summit of nearby Mt. Mahanoy to take in a spectacular view of the valley.
Everyone comes together with pomp and circumstance to celebrate the academic success of our graduates.
Annual event creates an opportunity for current students to network with alumni and prepare for life after graduation.
River Hawks are Distinctive, Powerful, Adaptive and Resilient. It's a perfect symbol as a mascot.
History and Traditions
Christmas Candlelight Service
Orange & Maroon Day
Senior Scholars Day
History of Susquehanna
We opened on Sept. 1, 1858, as The Missionary Institute of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. Our sister school was known as the Susquehanna Female College.
Benjamin Kurtz was the first president, and the school had two departments: theology and classical. We became co-educational when, in 1872, the Susquehanna Female College closed and some of its students enrolled at the Missionary Institute.
In 1895, we officially became Susquehanna University.
During the 20th century, we transformed into a four-year university offering a range of bachelor's degrees for students. In 1903, the school adopted the colors orange and maroon.