The Junior Writers' Workshop is designed for students who enjoy writing and would thrive on a full immersion in the writing process.
- Use the creative writing process in conjunction with age-appropriate computer illustration and word-processing programs to create an original story
- Learn one-on-one or in small groups about content/ideas, organization, voice, word choice, sentence fluency and the basic conventions of writing
- Work with Susquehanna creative writing majors to develop and extend their skills
- Gain confidence and communication skills in an engaging environment
The workshop's focus will be on nurturing students to grow in the writing process and moving their individual talents and abilities forward in a positive direction, not on producing a polished, published final piece of work.
Workshops are open to students who have completed grades 6–8 during the week of July 22–26 and students who have completed grades 3–5 during the week of July 29–Aug. 2. Each group is limited to 15 students.
Morning sessions are held from 8:30 am–12:30 pm daily, and an Afternoon Special Topic will be held the week of July 22–26 from 1–3:30 p.m.
Write On: Continuing to Exploring Genres
Writers who have completed grades 6–8 can add this optional afternoon session. Writers can also arrive at 1 p.m. and only attend the afternoon session. Boxed lunches will be offered for purchase.
Grow your talents as a writer by exploring a variety of writing genres in more depth. Investigations will include creative nonfiction, poetry, flash fiction, speculative fiction and more! Following a similar format as our morning workshop, you and your mentor will select a piece from your week's portfolio to polish and then share with the group for feedback.
Join us for more learning fun as we write on into the afternoon!
Morning Sessions: $200 per student
Afternoon Special Topic with Lunch Time Supervision: $90 per student
The afternoon workshop can be added on to the morning workshop, or campers can arrive at 1 p.m. and only attend the afternoon workshop.
Again, the option to purchase a packed lunch will be offered.
Discounts & Scholarships
- Bring A Friend—Register between April 1 and May 31 with a friend, and each of you will receive $10 off your registration fee. Both registrations must be received on the same day to qualify. Refunds will be given upon registration.
- Family Discount—Register more than one child per immediate family (brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister) for Kids' Summer Camp morning or afternoon sessions or Junior Writers' Workshops and save $30 overall. The $30 discount will be given upon registration.
- Scholarships—Limited scholarships are available. Inquiries should be made through Susquehanna's Office of Event Management at
(570) 372-4354 or by contacting Kathy Irwin Lentz at email@example.com.
Friend and family discounts cannot be combined. Only one discount per family is permitted.
Registration will be handled on a first-come, first-served basis. At the time of registration, full payment and completed application will be required to reserve a spot. A confirmation letter and Kids' College details will be forwarded to each participant closer to the workshop date.
If it becomes necessary to withdraw your child prior to the start of the Kids' College session, a $30 processing fee will be charged. There will be no refund once the Kids' College session has begun.
Please Note: Susquehanna University reserves the right to cancel and/or modify the workshop content/schedule if it becomes necessary. Participants will be notified of any changes.
Return forms to:
Office of Conference and Event Management
Attn: Jayme Long
514 University Ave.
Selinsgrove, PA 17870