March 04, 2016
Susquehanna University graphic design students walked away with the majority of awards during the American Advertising Federation's Greater Frederick (Md.) ADDY Awards ceremony on Feb. 21. There were 73 submissions in this year's student competition. Twenty-two of the 33 ADDYs awarded, including the coveted Judges' Choice and Best of Show awards, were won by Susquehanna students-just as they were the previous two years.
"Our students continue to amaze me," said Mark Fertig, associate professor and chair of the Department of Art at Susquehanna. "Their ability to stretch their imaginations to create compelling, cutting-edge designs speaks to the impressive talent we have at Susquehanna and the education they are receiving here."
Elizabeth Regan, a junior from McLean, Va., won a gold ADDY and Best of Show, which includes a $500 prize, for her design of the Darn Good Chips packaging campaign.
Miranda Walters, a junior from Richfield, Pa., won a gold ADDY and the Judge's Choice Award for her design of Battle Stations Brewing's packaging campaign. Walters also won a silver ADDY for her design of a logo and stationery package for Besso's restaurant.
Other award winners were:
- Michael Farina, a senior from Woodbine, Md., gold ADDY, theater poster for Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman; gold ADDY, Badlands Black Malt beer packaging; silver ADDY, Grand Adventure Travel Company identity and stationery; silver ADDY, print ad campaign for The History Channel's Mountain Men; silver ADDY, Ocean Conservancy annual report
- Steve Arhontoulis, a senior from Coopersburg, Pa., gold ADDY, print ad campaign for Animal Planet's I Shouldn't Be Alive; silver ADDY, book cover design for The Worst Hard Time; silver ADDY, theater poster for Tennessee Williams' Night of the Iguana
- Deb Martin, a senior from Ephrata, Pa., gold ADDY, Janell Monaé magazine cover and feature design, theater poster for Tennessee Williams' Baby Doll
- Kelsy O'Shea, a senior from Poughkeepsie, N.Y., gold ADDY, Dirty Puzzle Distillery logo; silver ADDY, Janell Monaé magazine feature design
- Morgan Sattler, a junior from Doylestown, Pa., gold ADDY, Native Market restaurant branding campaign
- Jeremy Campbell, a senior from Brooklyn, N.Y., silver ADDY, Trouble at the Pump magazine feature
- Matt Cultrera, a senior from Landing, N.J., silver ADDY, Hellfire Hot Sauce packaging
- Sarah Lawhun, a junior from Santee, S.C., silver ADDY, Queen City Café restaurant branding campaign
- Erin McGarrah, a senior from Mount Kisco, N.Y., silver ADDY, theater poster for Tennessee Williams' Period of Adjustment
See all of their designs and more photos of the event here.
Each year, advertising professionals and students enter their work in the American Advertising Awards district-level competition, which is comprised of Delaware, Washington D.C., Maryland, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania.
The competition's main categories span all facets of advertising, including sales and marketing; print; online; film, video and sound; and cross platform.