Department: Student Life
Vice President for Student Life
- EDD, Univ of Delaware
- MA, Bowling Green State University
- BA, Dickinson College
Vice President for Student Life
I was drawn to SU’s division of student life due to the talented and motivated students, the dedicated professional staff members, the collaborative faculty, and the unique living-learning opportunities created for our students.
I have previous experience as a faculty member in Penn State’s Higher Education Program teaching energetic graduate students and am now enjoying working with an energetic staff of dedicated student life administrators. With previous administrative experience at Bucknell, Lehigh, and Millersville, I’ve spent the past 25 years on college campuses engaging in community service opportunities, advising fraternities and sororities, orienting new students, advising student-athletes, programming small coffee houses and large stadiums, mentoring graduate students and professional staff members, and creating lasting friendships with students and colleagues.
A mom of two teenaged boys, I enjoy working with students the ways in which I hope others will work with my sons. I am an avid runner and can often be seen heading to a yoga class after work. My husband and I are renovating a farmhouse built in 1865, therefore you may also see me searching for treasures in our community’s many antique stores. I love living in the Susquehanna Valley and look forward to many years interacting with SU students.
- Provided twenty-four years of progressive leadership and involvement in a variety of higher education aspects including four years as chief student affairs officer.
- Managed complex divisions within highly functioning organizations with significant emphasis on recruiting, retaining, mentoring, supervising, and evaluating diverse staffs.
- Demonstrated excellent writing and editing skills as accreditation steering committee member responsible for preparing detailed accreditation report.
- Taught, advised, and mentored graduate students and new professionals in higher education and student affairs.
- Lead several successful strategic planning processes, concentrating on creation of learning outcomes, assessment, and data-driven decision-making.
- Actively participated in board of trustees’ strategic planning, capital campaign activities, and educational sessions, both as a board member and an advisor to boards.
- Developed and managed institution-wide crisis management protocol, served as leader of crisis management teams, provided detailed advice for risk management and communication strategies.
- Developed policy for Title IX and Clery compliance, created structure for adjudicating violations of policy, and organized appropriate strategies for educating and training community members.
- Implemented diversity and cultural competency program development, consultation, presentation and training.
- Mentored and advised undergraduate students throughout academic and personal matters, assisting with retention of students struggling with academic success.
SUSQUEHANNA UNIVERSITY, Selinsgrove, PA 2017 – Present
Vice President for Student Life
- Lead and inspire all areas of student life including leadership and engagement, residence life, student conduct, center for academic achievement, health services, counseling services, intercultural and community engagement, and public safety.
- Support a student life staff of 45 employees and eight departments, creating a common vision to inspire staff to meet the needs of students and others members of the campus community.
- Actively participate as a member of the president’s senior leadership team, collaborating with senior leadership to achieve institutional goals.
- Provide vision and leadership for the efforts to engage students in their educational experience, supporting the student government association, fraternities and sororities, and other student organizations.
PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY, State College, PA 2016 – Present
- Participate in the Higher Education M.Ed. program within the Department of Education Policy Studies and the online World Campus.
- Teach graduate course, HIED 556 Higher Education Students and Clientele (Fall 2016, Spring 2017).
- Develop and teach graduate course, HIED 897 Foundations of Student Affairs (Spring 2017).
BUCKNELL UNIVERSITY, Lewisburg, PA 2011 - 2015
Dean of Students
- Chief student affairs officer, member of the president’s senior leadership team and provost council.
- Managed division of 12 departments and 70 staff members, provided supervision and leadership to 10 direct reports, together with academic dean, supervised learning-living community.
- Advised board of trustees on matters relating to student affairs, co-chaired campus life committee.
- Managed 3 million dollar budget, participated in high-level financial, enrollment, and risk management strategies.
- Represented president’s leadership team on several committees including senior leadership search committees, the president’s diversity council, NCAA compliance committee, university-community partnership advisory board, degree completion task force, and university assessment committee.
- Established a divisional leadership team for assistance in student affairs and university wide strategic planning that included measuring the success of created learning and program outcomes.
- Successfully transitioned university-run student health to a student-centered practice managed through a joint venture with two local medical centers.
- Created staff management protocols including a professional development competency program for all staff members, a successful mentoring program, a structured annual performance evaluation and a process for evaluating supervisors and department managers.
- Collaborated with development officers in securing donations for student affairs initiatives.
- Partnered with a national learning collaborative to develop a comprehensive plan, built on assessment practices, to reduce negative consequences of high-risk drinking.
- Together with general counsel, rewrote student code of conduct and created new process for reviewing cases of student misconduct. Created marketing plan to communicate new code of conduct to campus community.
- Cultivated strong relationships with students, supporting a variety of athletic teams, student organizations, leadership programs and service opportunities, advocating for student needs.
- Created student-centered philosophy for engaging parents and families and collaborated with parent advisory board and alumni advisory board on matters related to student affairs, actively participated in board meetings.
- Developed collaborative working relationships with faculty and colleagues in academic affairs to better support student learning and student success.
- Promoted the use of technology across the division, successfully transitioning key divisional business practices to new electronic format.
- As an active member of the President’s Diversity Council, developed strategic diversity plan with goals, action steps, accountability plan and measures for assessment to achieve the university’s commitment to diversity as a core institutional and educational value.
- Worked closely with community partners to increase communication and collaboration between the local community and the university.
- Assisted in feasibility study and construction planning for new residence hall complex, commons building, and health and wellness facility.
LEHIGH UNIVERSITY, Bethlehem, PA
Associate Dean of Students1999 - 2011
- Provided direction, strategic planning and assessment for student affairs.
- Worked directly with 18 professional staff members within the department of academic life and student transitions, providing supervisory leadership to 9 direct reports.
- Represented student affairs on many campus wide committees, including chair of the women’s center director search committee, the enrollment management committee and the educational policy committee that governs all undergraduate and graduate academic policy and curriculum issues.
- Expanded department to include the office of the first-year experience, enrollment management and retention responsibilities, increased support for students with disabilities, and increased tutoring and study skills assistance for all students.
- Served as chair of a joint student life and academic affairs committee that provided jurisdiction over all undergraduate matters concerning the application of faculty regulations to the academic standing of students and academic policies.
- Coordinated student affairs and academic affairs grievance policies, providing assistance and support to students throughout the process.
- Through funding solicited from parent and alumni donors, created the center for academic success to provide expanded tutoring and study skill support for all undergraduate students.
- Created an enhanced sexual assault advocacy program for student survivors of sexual violence, providing training and support for staff members serving as advocates.
- Established supplemental advising program providing special attention and coaching to students in different populations including those from high schools of lower academic rigor, those from lower socio-economic status, first generation college students, and students with challenging personal or family situations.
- Created detailed retention reports using data from students who left the university for a variety of reasons and developed strategies to assist students in achieving success.
- Developed a coach liaison program to provide academic support services for student-athletes with special attention to NCAA eligibility and progress toward degree requirements.
Assistant Dean of Students1996 - 1999
- Created and presented programming for students in ethics and values, leadership development, and gender issues.
- Taught Arts 250: Communications, Cultures, Behaviors, and Attitudes, a four credit course in the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Coordinated staff development projects such as staff retreats, professional development opportunities, and assessment projects.
MILLERSVILLE UIVERSITY, Millersville, PA
Director of Student Programs 1993 - 1996
- Coordinated the areas of orientation, student activities, and fraternity & sorority affairs.
- Supervised a staff of professional, graduate student, and undergraduate assistants.
- Provided event programming for the entire campus community.
- Regularly performed annual review of student life and co-curricular activities.
Director of Greek Life & Off-Campus Housing 1991 –1993
- Advised and supported fraternity and sorority student leaders.
- Provided resources for commuter and off-campus students.
- Coordinated all campus community service events.
BOWLING GREEN STATE UNIVERSITY
House Director 1989 – 1991
- Directed Alpha Phi sorority house consisting of 21 residents and 100 members.
- Counseled students in personal and sorority related matters and enforced university policies.
Human Relations Coordinator 1990 – 1991
- Coordinated health and wellness educational programming for fraternity and sorority members.
- Provided risk management and liability education and support to fraternity and sorority leaders.
Ed.D. Educational Leadership 2016
University of Delaware, Newark DE
Dissertation: Creating parent interactions on college campuses that assist in developing resilience and independent problem solving in students
M.A. Higher Education and Student Affairs 1991
Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH
B.A. English 1989
Dickinson College, Carlisle, PA
COMMUNITY SERVICE & LEADERSHIP
- American Heart Association: GoRedForWomen Campaign, Geisinger Medical Center (2016)
- N2 Publishing, staff writer for two neighborhood community magazines (2015-present)
- Women’s Professional Partnership, conference planning team (2014-2015)
- Moravian Academy Board of Trustees, executive committee, education committee (chair), school safety committee (2003-2011)
- Central Moravian Church, education committee, church school teacher (2001-2011)
- Delta Delta Delta Fraternity, collegiate district officer (1992-1995)
- Housing Environments for Alcoholics Recovering, Inc., board member and newsletter editor (1991-1995)
- Lancaster County Sexual Assault Hot Line, volunteer crisis counselor (1993-1995)
- CIC Institute for Chief Academic and Chief Student Affairs Officers 2017
- Lutheran College and University Academic and Student Affairs Officers Conference 2017
- Gallup Leadership and Strengths Assessment 2016
- NASPA Chief Student Affairs Officer Summer Institute 2014
- National Associate of College and University Attorneys (NACUA) Title IX Coordinator Training 2012
- NASPA Institute for New Chief Student Affairs Officers 2012
- Basic and Advanced Mediation Training, Good Shepherd Mediation Program 2000
- Focus Group Moderator Training, Lehigh University & Burke Institute 1999
- Member of AAC&U Association of American Colleges and Universities
- Member of ACPA College Student Educators International
- Member of NASPA Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education
SELECTED PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
Lantz, S. L. College dean, college mom. Lewisburg Living Magazine. N2 Publishing. August 2016
Miller, E. L., Famiglio, L. M., Lantz, S.L. The challenge of organizational culture. Enhancing Patient and Family Centered Care through Learning, Discovery and Engagement Symposium. The Henry Hood Center for Health Research. June 2016
Lantz, S. L. Overcoming obstacles. United Methodist Women’s Association, Williamsport, PA. November 2015
Lantz, S. L. The patient experience. Evangelical Community Hospital Board of Directors. October 2015
Lantz, S. L. Resilience: managing challenging situations. Bucknell University Men’s Soccer Team. October 2015
Lantz, S. L. Empowering our region through mentoring & leadership, Panel Moderator. Lewisburg, PA. October 2014
Lantz, S. L. Women & leadership. Bucknell Professional Network Association, Los Angeles. November 2014
Keeling, R. P., Lantz, S. L., Welch, K. Strengthening fraternity & sorority life on campus: lessons learned from CSAOs. NASPA Annual Conference. March 2014
Lantz, S. L. My story: life as a mom who also has a more-than-full-time job. Bucknell Story Telling Project September 2013
Lantz, S. L. Student life under construction. Bucknell Magazine. Spring 2012
Lantz, S. L. Stories of sexual assault survivors. Take Back The Night, Bucknell University, October 2012
Lantz, S. L. Women’s leadership lessons. Bucknell Professional Network Association, New York City. November 2011
Lantz, S. L. Consultant and focus group facilitator. FC Lehigh, US Soccer Development Academy. January 2010
Lantz, S. L. Stories of sexual assault survivors. Take Back The Night, Lehigh University. October 2009
Lantz, S. L. Academic support for student athletes. Lehigh University Head Coaches. August 2007
Lantz, S. L. Perfectionism and college students. NACADA Regional Conference. February 2005
Lantz, S. L. Alcohol and college, Focus Group Facilitator. Lehigh University. March 2002
Lantz, S. L. The role of a sexual assault advocate. Lehigh University. August 2001
Lantz, S. L. Understanding the first-year experience, Focus Group Facilitator. Lehigh University. November 1999
Lantz, S. L. Keynote address on leadership. East Stroudsburg Student Leadership Conference. October 1996
Lantz, S. L. Community service initiatives. Association of Fraternity Advisors Annual Conference. December 1995
Lantz, S. L. Understanding relationships. Alpha Chi Rho Leadership & Scholarship Institute. August 1994
Lantz, S. L. Women in leadership roles. Phi Mu Pennsylvania Regional Conference. March 1993
Lantz, S. L. Sexual misconduct & college. Pennsylvania Crime Prevention Sexual Assault Conference. May 1992