We're a Leader Among Colleges Offering Work-Study

We're a Leader Among Colleges Offering Work-Study

November 03, 2016

Susquehanna University has been ranked eighth in the state for the amount of available federal work-study financial aid awarded to its students.

This ranking is part of a study released by the Student Loan Report. Using Peterson's Financial Aid Data released in August 2016, the Student Loan Report was able to calculate the total federal work-study aid awarded to thousands of colleges and universities in the United States.

Susquehanna was ranked No. 8 in Pennsylvania, with 708 students employed in work-study jobs, which amounted to $795,571 in financial aid. Of Susquehanna's total student population, 54.8 percent are eligible for federal work-study financial aid.

Nationwide, Pennsylvania ranked second for the amount of available federal work-study financial aid awarded to college students.

Benefits to the federal work-study program extend beyond financial compensation; for instance, students can learn how to balance multiple tasks as well as understand the value of hard work throughout college. Factoring in these benefits makes the federal work-study program one of the best alternatives to student loans.

Other key findings of the Student Loan Report's study:

  • 22.2 percent of colleges reported self-reported as federal work-study participants with up-to-date financial aid data
  • Of those colleges, 58 percent were private institutions while the remaining 42 percent were public institutions
  • Private institutions accounted for 60.6 percent of federal work-study financial aid
  • Private institutions accounted for 61.6 percent of all work-study jobs

This is one of several best-college rankings that Susquehanna has appeared in this fall. The university has also been recognized for its excellent valuestudy abroad programs, service opportunities and contribution to the public good.

What's Next?