TitleAbout - 0 33202

GO Long Planning Timeline

Use this page to see where you should start with the planning process, and be sure to watch the student-created video at the bottom of the page that details the steps even further!

First things first: Freshman year

  1. Attend an information session hosted by peer advisers from the Office of Cross-Cultural Programs.
  2. Research programs in which you are interested.
  3. Set up a meeting with the study away advisor or peer advisers in the Office of Cross-Cultural Programs.
  4. Discuss your academic and study away plans with your faculty adviser to determine when is the best time for you to study away.
  5. If you decide to study away your sophomore year, submit the "Request for Approval to Study Away" application to the Office of Cross-Cultural Programs by Nov. 15.  Keep in mind that not all programs will admit sophomores.
  6. Get a passport ASAP! Click here for more information.

One year before study away

Submit the "Request for Approval to Study Away" application to the Office of Cross-Cultural Programs by Nov. 15 of the academic year before you plan to study away.  For those studying away junior year, this will be Nov. 15 of sophomore year.  You may study away the first semester of senior year, in which case this form is due Nov. 15 of junior year.

GO House

Students who study abroad either during the academic year, during winter break, or during the adjacent summers may live in the GO House (this includes both GO Long and GO Short participants).

This traditional-style hall houses students participating in GO programs during that year, so the programming and events in the house focus on cross-cultural experience. The house is decorated with pictures and memorabilia from students' past GO trips.

Arranging to live in the GO House provides a solution to some of the campus housing complications that students studying abroad may encounter. More information about applying to live in the GO House will be available on mySU during the housing lottery process.

The semester before you depart

  1. Complete the online application for SU approval to study away on mySU. Click on "Apply to GO" and follow the instructions.
  2. Approvals are normally sent out by SU in mid-December. You can begin to complete the application materials for the specific program only after you have received approval from the Office of Cross-Cultural Programs.
  3. Apply for a passport if you haven't already done so.
  4. Communicate with the Office of Cross-Cultural Programs. The staff will ensure that you have all documents submitted prior to studying away so credits will transfer to SU, housing will be secured upon return and financial aid will apply.
  5. Attend the mandatory meetings and workshops. 

The semester(s) after you return: 10 ways to get involved

  1. Attend re-entry orientation.
  2. Participate in the photo contest and other re-entry activities.
  3. Mentor an international student.
  4. Advise a prospective study-away student.
  5. Volunteer to share your experiences at an open house or Accepted Students Day.
  6. Participate in pre-departure orientation to prepare students before they study away.
  7. Attend a workshop to learn how to market study away experience to employers.
  8. Join a student organization with an international focus.
  9. Plan an event on campus to showcase the culture in which you studied.
  10. Apply to live in the International House or the GO House.


How to Start the GO Process

This video is a student-created resource. Please verify statements with the Office of Cross-Cultural Programs.

Bookmark and Share