Main Navigation
Skip To Content
Admission & Aid
Discover Susquehanna
Campus Life
Student & Campus Services
About SU
Support Susquehanna

Sometimes an illness or mental condition impacts a student so severely that either reducing the course load or even withdrawing temporarily from the university may be considered.

To request a withdrawal or reduction, students must follow the instructions on the Medical Withdrawal or Course Reduction for Medical Reasons form. All requests must be approved by the Dean of Academic Engagement.

To request a withdrawal or reduction:

  1. Complete the Request for Medical Withdrawal or Course Reduction for Medical Reasons form.
  2. Take the form to your physician or therapist at the Health Center or Counseling Center.
  3. Complete a release form, which your provider will give you. This gives your provider permission to disclose information to the dean.
  4. Ask your provider to complete the Health/Mental Health Provider form and send it, along with your request form, to the dean.
  5. Meet briefly with the dean to discuss your withdrawal or reduction. At that time, the dean will also discuss any appropriate conditions for returning from leave.
  6. Once the dean has approved a withdrawal, complete a leave of absence form at the registrar's office, and discuss any financial aid issues with the financial aid office. In an emergency, the dean will be able to facilitate this process. In the case of a course load reduction, the dean will request that the registrar drop the appropriate course(s).
  7. Contact the residence life office regarding moving personal items from the residence hall and checking out.

Returning to the university after a medical withdrawal:

  1. Contact the dean about your plans as soon as possible.
  2. Generally students who take a medical withdrawal receive appropriate treatment during their absence from the university. Ask all mental health providers to complete the Mental Health Provider Report form and return it to the Counseling Center. In the case of physical illness, ask your physician to complete the Health Provider Report form and return it to the Health Center.
  3. Schedule an appointment with the Counseling Center director or the Health Center director (or designee) as appropriate, to discuss your return. Note: The Provider Report Form(s) must be received before this appointment can be held.
  4. The dean will be advised if there are any substantial reasons that a return to campus is inadvisable.
  5. The dean will contact you regarding arrangements for your return, including classes, housing and any conditions that may be required.