Helping to restore and protect the Susquehanna River watershed
Do you enjoy spending time outdoors in creeks and streams? Are you fascinated by fish and aquatic insects? Join us at the Freshwater Research Institute (FRI), where research staff and faculty work to monitor, restore and protect the ecological health of Pennsylvania's waters.
At the FRI, you can:
- Spend your summer on a field crew
- Learn how to identify macroinvertebrate and fish species
- Work at our freshwater lab
- Complete a mentored senior research project
- Publish your research with staff and faculty scientists
- Collaborate with state agency and nonprofit staff
Our location in the heart of central Pennsylvania is ideal: Susquehanna University is within walking distance of the Susquehanna River and just a short drive to headwater streams, reservoirs, creeks, wetlands and restoration sites. Faculty regularly take students on field trips to these locations. Read the latest news from the FRI.
Stream Ecology Institute
At this weeklong, residential summer camp for high schoolers, you'll study stream ecology, searching under rocks for crawdads and salamanders and testing stream waters for phosphate, nitrogen and dissolved oxygen.