Step 1

Students must complete and submit a Request for Accommodations form, available from the Office of Disabilities Services AND submit documentation substantiating the disability to:

Lakeisha Meyer, Director of Disability Services
514 University Ave.
Selinsgrove, PA 17870

Documentation may include a psychological evaluation or Medical Provider form

Although I.E.P.'s and 504 Plans are helpful, they are generally not accepted in lieu of other documentation.

Step 2

Students will receive a preliminary letter and phone call regarding eligibility for accommodations.

Step 3

Students must meet with the director of disability services within the first two weeks of the semester to obtain formal Letters of Agreement for Accommodations, which they will deliver to each relevant instructor. 

The student should return the signed letter/s to the director as soon as possible. 

Students are responsible for making arrangements for extended testing time, testing in a noise reduced area, etc. Susquehanna University does not have a separate testing facility. 

Although our faculty is very accommodating, students are discouraged to expect their instructors to sign the Letter of Agreement at the end of class. A discussion should take place at the appropriate time and place. 

In some cases, the university will provide provisional, one-time accommodations to students who are in the process of obtaining documentation for their disability. 

Step 1

Students must schedule an appointment with the director of disability services by contacting in the first two weeks of classes each semester. During that meeting students will discuss accommodation needs for each class and draft a Letter of Agreement for Accommodations.

Step 2

Students must then take the Letter of Agreement for Accommodations to each professor to discuss the needed accommodations. The director of disability services is available for consultation regarding suggestions or alternative accommodations. Both the student and the professor should sign the contract and the student should return the signed agreement to Office of Disability Services.

In some cases, the university will provide provisional, one-time accommodations to students who are in the process of obtaining documentation for their disability. 

Making a Request

    1. A medical provider must complete a Medical Provider form or supply other medical documentation for all housing and dining accommodations. The Service and Assistance Animal Disability Documentation Form must be completed instead of the Medical Provider Form if the request is for a service or assistance animal.
    2. The director will contact the student via phone call to discuss the need for the requested accommodation/s.
    3. If approved, the director will contact residence life and dining services to recommend the accommodation. The student will then be contacted to identify options available.

Single rooms are assigned only when no other accommodation is deemed reasonable and only when available. A medical condition alone does not qualify a student for a single room.

Roommate Conflicts

Some students may need more help being proactive because of a disability or sensitive issues surrounding a condition.

Students are encouraged to discuss their issue with the director of disability services and possibly the resident assistant (RA) as early as possible in the semester.

Students with chronic health impairments are encouraged to discuss their condition with the director of disability services, RA and roommate (if appropriate) as soon as possible, particularly if the condition will worsen with continuous conflict and stress. 

Report any roommate conflicts to the RA immediately. Room or roommate change requests brought to the director of disability services during the semester will immediately be reported to residence life. If students have not already made a good faith effort to resolve roommate conflicts, they may be asked to do so. The director of disability services will make the final decision to move/change a room assignment due to a chronic health issue that is exacerbated by roommate conflicts.

Arranging for Alternate Texts (E-Texts or Audio Books and Braille)

Contact the Office of Disability Services to discuss specific needs for alternate texts as soon as schedules have been finalized. We will assist students in obtaining texts by:

  • Requesting an electronic copy (e-text) of the text from the publisher.
  • Our Print Shop will scan the book into a PDF or a Word file and place on a CD.

Contact the director of disability services to receive approval before taking any books to the Print Shop so they can be informed that the student has been approved for an e-text. Remember:

  • Only scan books that are absolutely needed. 
  • All e-texts must be returned to Disability Services at the end of the semester.
  • Textbooks will be dismembered, which will afffect the resale value.
  • Textbooks can be scanned by chapter if time allows, and in an emergency situation, the text will be scanned as one file.

Audio books can be obtained from the Recordings for the Blind & Dyslexic at


The Office of Disability Services and the Office of Information Technology will work with students to identify arrangements for access to assistive technology software. Contact the Office of Disability Services to request technical help.

Requesting a Course Substitution 

Students at Susquehanna are never exempt from taking a required course but substitutions may be considered.

Substitutions must be approved through the Disability Services Office.

No student is given a course substitution before acceptance or as a condition of their acceptance. Students wishing to obtain a course substitution must inform the director of disability services as soon as possible upon being accepted. 

Students who disagree with an accommodation decision may appeal the decision by submitting a written statement of appeal to the director of disability services and the provost (for academic matters) or the vice president of student life/dean of students (for non-academic matter), who will make a final decision.

An appeal must be submitted within 10 working days of the initial accommodation decision. The appeal will be reviewed within five working days, and the student will be notified in writing of the decision by either the provost or the dean of students. The initial accommodation decision will remain in effect until the appeal has been reviewed and a decision rendered.

Accessibility on Campus

We've worked hard to make as much of campus as accessible as possible, and we remain committed to monitoring and improving physical access to campus facilities.

Due to inclement weather or other unexpected issues, there may be times when a sidewalk, building or a specific floor in a building may not be accessible.

If the situation does not require immediate attention, please file a work order with Facilities Management. If the situation is urgent, call 570-372-4147. If it is outside normal business hours, call Public Safety at 570-372-4444.

Disability Accommodations
Skip Block Navigation

Center for Academic Achievement

Offering individualized assistance in study skills, time management and tutoring in specific subjects.

Counseling Center

Provides counseling and emergency services to students experiencing emotional, behavioral and relationship difficulties.

Health Center

Taking care of your health and wellness through a partnership with Geisinger Health Systems.

First-Year Experience

The adjustment to college life can be tough. We help smooth the bumps with tips for you and your family.

Public Safety

Call 570-372-4444 for emergencies.

Contact Us

Office of Disability Services

514 University Ave.
Selinsgrove, Pa. 17870

Get Directions


Fisher Hall 

Campus Map

Phone & Email

Lakeisha Meyer, director of disability services

What's Next?