With the English as a second language program specialist certification, you can gain the experience and expertise to support English language learners. The special education certification, available through Dec. 2021, will prepare you to work with students with special needs.
Make a difference that lasts a lifetime
Preschool to fourth grade are crucial years for children. You can be the teacher who inspires and guides them.
Our early childhood education program will grow your teaching skills with courses in education theory and practice. Study history, geography, science, math, language arts, literature and music—all subjects you'll incorporate in your classroom.
Add a certification in English as a second language (ESL) programming to make yourself even more marketable.
In your first weeks at Susquehanna, you'll have rich, real-world academic experiences in area classrooms—through classroom observations, one-on-one tutoring, small group instruction and more.
Our award-winning Global Opportunities program in Chester, England, gives you international classroom experience that will make your résumé shine.
You'll start your senior year of student teaching with more than 150 hours of classroom experience.
Lead a classroom with confidence
We've been training quality teachers since 1904. We know how to help you find a position out of the gate. Nearly all of our graduates are employed or pursuing advanced degrees within six months of graduation.
Our graduates teach at all levels—from preschool to higher education—and all over the world.
We make sure you have the skill and cultural competence to work with students from all backgrounds, so you'll be comfortable in your classroom no matter where you land. Our interdisciplinary minors, like diversity studies and leadership, help you gain a better understanding of important topics in today’s world.
A Susquehanna education provides students with flexibility in coursework so they can conduct research, intern and study abroad. When it comes to your major, you’ll begin taking classes in your chosen program of study in your first year.
Here are some of the courses that early childhood education majors take in their first few semesters at Susquehanna.
- Introduction to Education and Society
- Preschool Language and Literacy
- Cognition and Classroom Learning: Early Childhood
- Technology in Education
Download the current course catalog on this page to see the full list of classes and course descriptions for Susquehanna’s majors.
Recent Education graduates are employed at:
- Abington School District, Abington, Pa.
- Academy Primary School, Montgomery County, Md.
- Academy of St. Elizabeth, Morristown, N.J.
- Accomack County School District, Accomac, Va.
- Alamance-Burlington School System, Burlington, N.C.
- America Reads
- Baltimore County Public Schools, Baltimore
- Beginnings Learning Center, Philadelphia,
- Bound Brook School District, Bound Brook, N.J.
- Burgundy Farm Country Day School, Alexandria, Va.
- Danbury Public Schools, Danbury, Conn.
- Danville Area School District, Danville, Pa.
- Diocese of Scranton, Scranton, Pa.
- Eugenia Maria de Hostos Charter School, Philadelphia
- James W. Smith Elementary School, Cove City, N.C.
- Lewisburg Area School District, Lewisburg, Pa.
- Livingston Public Schools, Livingston, N.J.
- Lower Kuskokwim School District, Quinhagak, Alaska
- Loyalsock School District, Williamsport, Pa.
- Manhattan School for Children, New York City
- Manheim Township School District, Manheim Township, Pa.
- Midd-West School District, Middleburg/Beaver Springs, Pa.
- Otto Eldred School District, Duke Center, Pa.
- Palisades School District, Bucks County, Pa.
- River Ridge Academy, Bluffton, S.C.
- Selinsgrove Area School District, Selinsgrove, Pa.
- Shamokin Area School District, Shamokin, Pa.
- Shikellamy School District, Sunbury, Pa.
- Sirindhorn School, Mueang Surin, Thailand
- Somerset Hills Learning Institute, Bedminster, N.J.
- Sprague School District, Baltic, Conn.
- Stafford County Public Schools, Stafford County, Va.
- Michael the Archangel School, Coopersburg, Pa.
- Success Academy Charter School, South Bronx, N.Y.
- Teach for America
- Warrior Run School District, Turbotville, Pa.
- Wellsboro Montessori Children's Center, Wellsboro, Pa.
Recent Education graduates have enrolled in programs at:
- Bank Street College of Education, New York City
- Bloomsburg University, Bloomsburg, Pa.
- King's College, Wilkes-Barre, Pa.
- Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
- Joseph's University, Philadelphia
- Touro College of Education, New York City
- University of Maryland-Baltimore County, Baltimore
- University of Virginia, Richmond, Va.
- Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tenn.
- West Chester University, West Chester, Pa.
- Wilkes University, Wilkes-Barre, Pa.
Forging Partnerships for Teaching and Learning
Teacher candidates possess a foundation in liberal arts that supports and enhances studies and experiences about educational theory, research, collaboration, reflection and professional development. Current trends, best practices and performance assessment are inherent in the program design. Academic standards of basic education, program licensure standards, performance standards and the code of professional conduct are embedded in regulation, educational research and professional practice. The Education Department encourages the on-going participation of the educational community in program planning and evaluation in support of the conceptual framework for teaching that includes preparation and planning, classroom environment, instruction and professional responsibilities.
In support of this we are committed to:
- Honoring and supporting each child
- Developing learning communities
- Exploring career paths and educational opportunities
- Collaborating with all stakeholders
- Modeling reflective teaching, decision making, and leadership
- Advancing integrated instructional technology
- Articulating high expectations for all children
- Celebrating diversity
Susquehanna University has been selected by the Pennsylvania Department of Education to provide the Teacher Intern Program. This program invites holders of baccalaureate degrees to gain teaching certificates by completing professional education courses at an approved Pennsylvania college or university. Once accepted into the program, candidates may earn a salary and education credits while teaching under supervision.Read More