- Majors & Minors
- Study Abroad
- Academic Calendar
- Central Curriculum
- Course Catalog
- Blough-Weis Library
- Center for Academic Achievement
- Honors Program
- Summer Session
- Due Dates
- Admission Representatives by Region
- Tuition & Financial Aid
- Net Price Calculator
- Housing & Dining
- Student Activities & Programs
- Fun On Campus
- Title IX
- Bias Response
- Our Campus & Location
- Diversity Matters
- Center for Diversity & Inclusion
- Our Leadership
- History and Traditions
- In the Community
- Title IX
- Event Calendar
We have been selected by the Pennsylvania Department of Education to provide the Teacher Intern Program. This program invites holders of baccalaureate degrees or higher to gain teaching certificates by completing professional education courses at an approved Pennsylvania college or university. Once accepted into the program, candidates may earn a salary and education credits while teaching under supervision.
Teacher Intern candidates must hold a bachelor's degree from an approved university, and must satisfy academic major requirements as described under the department in the current Susquehanna University catalog.
Candidates must also complete the Intern Program having earned at least a 3.0 GPA in order to gain PA certification.
Susquehanna University offers Teacher Education Certification, through the Teacher Intern Program, in the following fields:
- Biology 7-12
- Chemistry 7-12
- Citizenship Education 7-12
- English 7-12
- English as a Second Language (ESL) PreK-12
- French PreK-12
- General Science 7-12
- German PreK-12
- Mathematics 7-12
- Music PreK-12
- PreK - Grade 4
- Physics 7-12
- Social Studies 7-12
- Spanish K-12
- Special Education PreK-8
We are seeking practicing teachers interested in ESL education to enroll in a four-course program leading to PreK-12 certification.
Criteria for Admission
- A baccalaureate degree from an approved college/university, and must satisfy the requirements for the academic major in which they want to certify as described under that department in the current Susquehanna University catalog.
- 3.0 GPA or higher earned in their baccalaureate degree. Candidates with a lower GPA can be conditionally accepted after 12 semester hours of coursework with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. A 3.0 GPA must be maintained for successful program completion.
A transcript review will determine whether a candidate will be required to take additional coursework.
All teacher intern course work will be charged at the teacher intern rate of $495 per credit hour. Tuition costs are subject to change according to university increases.
Field experiences allow candidates to apply principles and theories learned in their academic coursework to actual practice in the classroom setting. Field experiences also provide opportunities for interactions with diverse populations, ages, and school settings.
The Pennsylvania Department of Education requires field experience totaling 190 hours, prior to student teaching. These 190 hours include:
- 40 hours of observation and exploration (externship - single school setting)
- 150 hours of pre-student teaching interaction with teachers and students. Some of the 150 hours will take place throughout the required coursework, and will align and integrate with the topics of focus in the course materials, and program goals
Consideration for field experience credit will be given to recent experience in working with children in an instructional setting. Candidates will discuss recent experiences with the Director of the Teacher Intern Program during the personal interview portion of the program intake process.
Student teaching, as a teacher intern, requires a minimum of 12 weeks. These are full-time assignments and are arranged through the Director of the Teacher Intern Program. School sites for student teaching are planned early in the semester prior to the actual student teaching experience. Additional time may be added to the beginning or end of the 12-week assignment in order to meet the required field experience hours.
School sites for student teaching are selected from school districts within a 50-mile radius of Susquehanna University. The university's teacher intern supervisors will observe the interns a minimum of four times during the student teaching experience, and intern student teachers will attend a minimum of four seminars on the university campus.
Upon successfully completing all program requirements with a GPA of 3.0 or higher, teacher interns are eligible to apply for an Instructional I Teaching Certificate through the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
To apply, submit:
- Proof of American citizenship (copy of birth certificate or passport) or valid visa
- Official transcripts from former college(s)/universities
- $50 application and transcript review fee, payable to Susquehanna University
- Three letters of recommendation from former professors and/or recent employers
- Personal statement explaining why you wish to become a licensed educator
- Required clearances
- TB test results
- Completed Application - download here
All application materials should be submitted to:
Christine Tiday, M.Ed.
Director, Teacher Intern & Auxiliary Programs
Department of Education
514 University Ave.
Selinsgrove, PA 17870-1164
If you become aware of a teaching position that you would like to apply for during the course of your Teacher Intern Program, an Intern Certificate from the PA Department of Education can qualify you for this position while you earn credits towards your Instructional I certification.
If this need arises, please contact the program director for Letter of Intern Candidacy that can accompany your job application. You can apply online for the PA Intern Certificate through the TIMS system. Pennsylvania Intern Certification is valid for three years and costs $200.
Our Center for Economics, Business and Entrepreneurship Education serves the community by assisting teachers in bringing economic and business education into K-12 classrooms in the region.Learn More