Three members of Susquehanna’s Class of 2023 will begin their postgraduate journeys in Europe through the Teaching Assistant Program in France. Beginning in October, the three will teach English for seven months in French public school districts.
Your Susquehanna education won’t stop at the classroom doors.
Student clubs and activities, field trips, events, seminars and study abroad programs are all essential to building a well-rounded education in Chinese, French, German, Italian or Spanish.
Bond with students who share similar passions. Hear from experts with real-world experience in your field. Get to know faculty in a whole new light. Explore a new city or culture. Wherever you want your career to go, what you learn beyond our classrooms can help get you there.
Language Department Events
Throughout the year, the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures hosts numerous events and learning experiences for students, including:
- Naples and L’Amica Geniale — A special event in collaboration with the music department based on a novel set in Naples. Students and faculty read excerpts from the novels followed by performances of Neapolitan songs by music students and faculty.
- World Book Fair — Language fellows organized a display in the library highlighting literature from around the world in honor of International Book Day.
- International Carnaval — The language fellows threw a Carnival party with the aim of disseminating information on and instilling curiosity about Carnaval traditions in European countries.
- Tombolata Night — The Italian fellow organized a game night in which the famous Tombola, a game similar to Bingo, was played by students who were able to learn about Christmas traditions in Italy.
- Italian-German movie night — The Italian fellow, the German fellow and Associate Professor of German Studies Martina Kolb showed Life is beautiful (La vita è bella), an Italian film on the Holocaust. The screening was followed by a discussion with students studying German and Italian.
- French-Italian witchcraft event — The Italian and the French fellows reflected together with some students on the meaning of witchcraft in today’s society in European countries as well as in the United States.
- International Fairs — Throughout the year the language fellows took part in international fairs organized by SU, in which they talked about their culture and countries and prepared national dishes as well as games and various activities.
- Journee de la Francophonie — Our annual French-speaking festival.
- “My Brilliant Friend” Workshop — Special event in collaboration with the creative writing department and aimed at reflecting on both the Italian culture and the process of writing.
- Hispanic Heritage Month — Hispanic Heritage Month celebrates the cultures and contributions of Americans whose ancestors come from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean and Central and South America.
- Latinx Initiative — Annual event which celebrates the Latinx culture across campus. Movie screenings, talks, performances, readings focused on the Latinx culture. It includes a panel with students and professors who reflect on their Latina/o/x identity while considering one shared aspect of their lives.
- Immigration Stories — Students of SPAN-301 presented their projects, which consisted of interviews to people from inside and outside campus who have immigrated from several countries. These real-life stories showed a variety of experiences about immigration.