To prioritize the health and safety of our applicants, their families and the campus community, all auditions and evaluations will be conducted virtually for the 20-21 season. We are committed to offering you meaningful interactions with our department from the comfort of your home.
Music major and minor auditions include a performance on your primary instrument/voice and an evaluation of basic musicianship skills. Please review our audition and scholarship brochure, then carefully follow the instructions below. Contact the Manager of Music Admission with any immediate questions.
Students must be admitted to Susquehanna before scheduling an audition. Once an offer of admission is received, applicants will be prompted to register for a Virtual Audition Day. Audition spots are filled on a first-come, first served basis.
Register for a Virtual Audition Day here. You will need the admit portal username and password provided at the time of admission to access this form. Contact the Office of Admission at email@example.com to request that your password be reset.
2020-21 Audition Process
Following admission to Susquehanna University, all music major candidates must complete two steps to fulfill their audition requirements for entrance to the program.
Step 1: Register for a Virtual Audition Day
Step 2: Submit a Pre-recorded Video Audition
The goal of our two-part audition process is to:
- Provide faculty evaluators with a clear picture of your performance ability and level of musicianship.
- Offer candidates a personalized opportunity to interact with faculty and current students.
- Remove technology barriers and concerns about sound quality or internet connectivity.
- Evaluate all candidates with equal weight.
Register for a Virtual Audition Day
- Virtual auditions occur on the dates listed below. Register for a Virtual Audition Day here. You will need the admit portal username and password provided at the time of admission to access this form. Contact the Office of Admission at firstname.lastname@example.org to request that your password be reset.
- Applicants will participate in real-time interaction with faculty and current students. In advance, participants will receive personalized schedules with Zoom links for each activity.
- Music assessments & placements are completed at this time, therefore, access to a piano or digital/electronic keyboard is required.
Virtual Audition Dates for Music Majors
Saturday, December 5, 2020
Saturday, January 23, 2021
Saturday, February 6, 2021
Monday, February 15, 2021
Saturday, February 27, 2021
Audition spots are filled on a first-come, first served basis and only confirmed once the offer of admission to the University is received.
Registration opens October 1, 2020.
Submit a Pre-recorded Video Audition
- Audition videos must include the necessary audition requirements for your instrument and degree.
- Video links are to be submitted 7-14 days in advance of your confirmed Virtual Audition Day. You will have an opportunity to discuss your performance with faculty evaluators.
- Provide Susquehanna with a link/URL to your video by emailing it to: email@example.com or editing your Virtual Audition Day registration to add the URL.
- Create quality videos that accurately demonstrate your musical ability and fulfill the audition requirements.
- BASIC - Use an iPhone, Android or other smart device to capture video and sound.
- IDEAL - Combine an HD video recording device with an external USB microphone.
- Videos should not be extensively edited.
- Instrumental applicants should perform unaccompanied. Voice applicants are required to use an accompanist or backing track - basic YouTube karaoke tracks are acceptable. Contact the Manager of Music Admission if you have concerns about accompaniment.
- Announce your name, intended major and selections at the beginning of the video. Be certain that your entire instrument, upper body, hands, and face are centered as you perform.
- Upload your video file to cloud-based storage (Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive) or other video player (YouTube, Vimeo) then create a link to share. Please test the link and privacy settings before submitting.
To be considered for a non-major music scholarship, please prepare a pre-recorded video audition of no more than 5 minutes in length. Present two contrasting selections of your choice. All submissions must be received by email on or before April 1. Upload your video file to cloud-based storage (Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive) or other video player (YouTube, Vimeo) then create a link to share. Please test the link and privacy settings before submitting. Email links to firstname.lastname@example.org.