- Majors & Minors
- Study Abroad
- Academic Calendar
- Central Curriculum
- Course Catalog
- Blough-Weis Library
- Center for Academic Achievement
- Honors Program
- Summer Session
- Graduate Results
- Success Stories
- Career Development Center
- Centers and Lectureships
- Academic Resources
- Tuition & Financial Aid
- Admission Representatives by Region
- Housing & Dining
- Student Activities & Programs
- Fun On Campus
- Title IX
- Student & Campus Services
- Our Campus & Location
- Diversity Matters
- Our Leadership
- History and Traditions
- In the Community
- Title IX
Welcome to the GO Office!
We believe that studying away and other cross-cultural experiences are so essential to the liberal arts education we offer that we have made it a part of our central curriculum.
Our distinctive award-winning cross-cultural program is called GO (Global Opportunities). It offers students a wide range of off-campus educational programs in both domestic and international locations.
We are a resource for students preparing to study away.
Learning Goals and History
Our Global Opportunities (GO) Program is a central curriculum requirement unique to Susquehanna. Introduced in fall 2009, it grew out of the faculty's desire to challenge students in their understanding of and engagement with cultural difference.
Students complete a cross-cultural experience that contains preparatory, experiential, and reflective components that enables them to:
- Demonstrate a complex understanding of culture including the ability to develop a working definition of culture
- Articulate awareness of differences and similarities between their culture of origin and the one in which they are immersed.
- Define and recognize ethnocentrism and ethnocentric assumptions.
- Demonstrate critical awareness of their own cultural values and identity.
- Recognize how their attitudes, behaviors, and choices affect the quality of their cross cultural experiences.
- Reflect on their personal growth, social responsibility, and the value of active participation in human society.
GO emphasizes the learning that takes place on campus—before and after the cross—cultural experience. The requirement consists of:
- Pre-departure classes
- A cross-cultural experience that takes place off campus;
- Lasts two weeks minimum
- Can be for credit or not
- Can be in the U.S. or abroad
- Does have to offer students the opportunity to progress on the cross-cultural learning goals and show evidence of that progress in the reflection class they take on campus.
- The actual credit-bearing requirement is the work on campus, in pre-departure and a post-experience. There is a two semester-hour reflection class on campus in the semester following the cross-cultural experience.
In 2013 Susquehanna was awarded the Institute for International Education's highest award for facilitating study abroad opportunities and increasing students' cultural competency—important for success in today's global society. The strength of our GO program has also influenced student success in pursuing and achieving prestigious Fulbright Awards—eight in the past four years!
GO photo contest
Post your favorite photos to Twitter or Instagram and tag with #sugocontest. Weekly winners receive a $10 gift card and are entered to win a grand prize! Themes for fall 2017 are:
- Sept. 4- your town/city
- Sept. 11- moment of reflection
- Sept. 18- wild card
- Sept. 25- black and white photography
- Oct. 2- food
- Oct. 9- people
- Oct. 16- off
- Oct. 23- selfie
- Oct. 30- animals
- Nov. 6- sky
- Nov. 13- grand prize voting