Main Navigation
Skip To Content
Admission & Aid
Discover Susquehanna
Campus Life
Division of Student Life
About SU
Support Susquehanna

What You Need to Know about Studying Abroad

Every student who studies at Susquehanna will study off-campus, either abroad or domestically,  in a cross-cultural environment. Your support is vital as your student prepares to study away, both during their time away and when they return home. Students may:

  • GO Long with a semester-length program in one of several locations around the globe
  • GO Short with a two-to-six-week program during winter or summer break
  • Design their own program with GO Your Own Way during winter or summer break

Read our guide for parents and families for more.

We assist students in applying for their passport to study in a foreign country. The Global Programs office can take passport photos for visa and passport applications.

Students can then apply for their visa from the country where they will be studying if needed (generally GO Long only). Some things to know:

  • They cannot apply for a visa until they have been accepted by their study abroad program.
  • Obtaining a visa may require additional expenses and travel.
  • We cannot guarantee that visas will be granted or how quickly they will be granted.
  • Visa restrictions and regulations can change from semester to semester.
  • Some study abroad programs may process the visa for you.

If you are responsible for getting your own visa you may want to consider using an agency that helps facilitate getting a visa (extra fees will apply). 

Help your student stay on track

First-year students

  • Attend an information session or meet with one of our peer advisors.
  • Research programs.
  • Discuss academic and study-away plans with his or her faculty advisor.
  • If studying away second semester sophomore year (the earliest possible semester), submit the "Request for Approval to Study Away" application by Nov. 15.
  • Get a passport ASAP!

One year before study away

  • Submit the "Apply To Go " application by Nov. 15 of the academic year before studying away.

The semester before departing

  • Begin to complete the program's specific application once they have received approval from the GO Program Office.
  • Apply for a passport if not already done.
  • Gain pre-approval for courses from study away to transfer back to Susquehanna.
  • Ensure that all documents have been submitted to the GO Program Office so credits will transfer, housing will be secured upon return and financial aid will apply.
  • Attend the required GO preparation class and all mandatory meetings and workshops

Help your student stay on track

Prior to applying, students should:

  • Attend the GO Fair in the beginning of the fall semester to learn about programs.
  • Speak with program directors and returned students for firsthand insights.
  • Visit the GO Program Office to talk with an advisor.
  • Get a passport ASAP!

To apply, students Apply To GO. After they are accepted into a program, students will need to complete statement of responsibility and medical forms. We recommend that you review these with your son or daughter. Visit for dates and deadlines.

When is the best time for students to go? Students may study abroad after three semesters at SU and up until the winter break of their senior year. Most elect to study abroad/study away in fall of their junior year.

When should they apply? For summer GO Short programs, the application deadline is Nov. 15 of the semester preceding the program. For winter GO Short programs, the application deadline is April 20 the spring semester preceding the program. For GO Long semester programs, the priority application deadline is Nov. 15 the year before they go.

How long can students study away? Programs range from two weeks to a semester.

Can students go to a program in a country where they do not already speak the language? Yes, but this depends on the program requirements. Many GO Short programs visit non-English-speaking countries, but are conducted in English by Susquehanna faculty/staff. Many semester programs in non-English-speaking countries offer classes taught in English, although we do require that students study the local language.

What can count toward the requirement? A GO Short program (a short-term faculty-led program), a GO Long (a traditional semester study-abroad program), or a GO Your Own Way (a short-term approved internship or volunteer work in a cross-cultural setting or an independent proposal) can count.

How do students submit a proposal for an independent cross-cultural experience? Students interested in a GO Your Own Way program should schedule an advising session with GO Program staff to discuss their plans. Then, students will complete the  Apply To GO application online for GO Your Own Way.

What is the reflective component? Students complete this coursework on campus in the semester after their cross-cultural experience.

Is financial aid available? Students on an approved GO Long program continue to have access to state and federal aid, as well as Susquehanna need-based and merit aid. Students participating in a GO Short program are also eligible for need-based aid.

Studying away does not have to be expensive. There are many low-cost alternatives at Susquehanna, and financial aid is available.

Students attending a GO Long (semester) program continue to have access to their university financial aid, and students participating in a GO Short program are also eligible for need-based aid.

Many organizations and foundations provide funding for study abroad students of varying academic disciplines, locations of interest and more. If students receive a scholarship, they must report the award to Student Financial Services. The office is open during regular weekday work hours. The phone number is 570-372-4450.

A list of scholarships is available here.

Cost-saving tips

  1. Choose a smaller city or a town in a rural area that will have a lower cost of living.
  2. Pay attention to where and what locals eat and drink.
  3. Study-away programs do not include extensive travel to lots of other countries and cities. While some students may choose to take such excursions, they should be thought of as vacations.
  4. Consider a low-cost semester program.

Contact Us

Office of Global Programs

514 University Ave.
Selinsgrove, PA 17870

Get directions


Hassinger Hall, Lower Level

Campus Map

Phone & Email