- Majors & Minors
- Study Abroad
- Academic Calendar
- Central Curriculum
- Course Catalog
- Blough-Weis Library
- Center for Academic Achievement
- Honors Program
- Summer Session
- Due Dates
- Admission Representatives by Region
- Tuition & Financial Aid
- Net Price Calculator
- Housing & Dining
- Student Activities & Programs
- Fun On Campus
- Title IX
- Bias Response
- Our Campus & Location
- Diversity Matters
- Center for Diversity & Inclusion
- Our Leadership
- History and Traditions
- In the Community
- Title IX
- Event Calendar
A unique summer experience for high school students seeking a challenging and fast-paced business boot-camp experience!
You have two opportunities to join 2018's LIFE program:
Week 1: Sunday, June 24, to Saturday, June 30, 2018
Week 2: Sunday, Aug. 5, to Saturday, Aug. 11, 2018
Live the life of an entrepreneur this summer with Susquehanna University’s Sigmund Weis School of Business.
The Leadership Institute for Entrepreneurship (LIFE) at Susquehanna University provides high school students like you with an exclusive leadership opportunity to better prepare you for future success.
Working in a simulated entrepreneurial setting, you and your teammates will start and run your own business. Your team will also engage in a variety of business-related competitions and develop your own infomercial. During this exciting and challenging week, you will acquire leadership and team-building skills, develop new friendships and learn valuable lessons from the pros.
And because you will live with Susquehanna University business majors in residence halls, you will hear firsthand what it’s like to go to the Sigmund Weis School of Business, a world-class undergraduate business school.
Apply for LIFE
Join us for LIFE, a week-long summer educational experience during which you'll work in teams, start and run your own business, create an infomercial and more.
Choose from one of two sessions:
Apply for week 1—Sunday, June 24, to Saturday, June 30, 2018
Apply for week 2—Sunday, Aug. 5, to Sunday, Aug. 11, 2018
The cost is $1025.
- Housing in a modern residence hall setting
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner in the university's cafeteria or on field trip sites
- Educational materials such as books and software
- Field trip transportation to local entrepreneurial startup businesses and family owned and operated amusement park, as time allows
Students should bring spending money for admission to amusement park, bookstore purchases, snacks and other personal expenses.
Scholarships are available based on financial need and academic performance. No full-tuition scholarships are available. A letter from your guidance counselor, indicating your eligibility for free/reduced lunch or other measure(s) of financial need, is required for scholarship consideration.
Why should you attend LIFE? Because you'll:
- Gain real-world entrepreneurial experience and skills such as problem solving, marketing, pricing and advertising
- Develop an entrepreneurial mindset, a skill valued by both employers and investors
- Get a preview of life on a college campus and develop your team-building skills
- Strengthen your resume for college and job applications
- Discover the entrepreneur in you
- Gain a new sense of self-confidence
- Feel what it's like to be part of the Susquehanna family
You should arrive on campus between 2 and 4 p.m on Sunday, June 24, for the first session and Sunday, Aug. 5 for the second session. The formal welcome begins at 5 p.m.
Highlights of the week include:
- Working with real entrepreneurs and expert professors in entrepreneurship
- Exploring your business idea with new friends and developing the skills to bring a business to life
- Visiting local businesses, including a family-owned amusement park and a fitness empire
- Dining etiquette exercise to improve your networking and communication skills
- Formal end-of-session presentations to win cash prizes!
The programs conclude on Saturday, June 30, and Saturday, Aug. 11, with parents encouraged to attend. An extended breakfast with the dean, the Sigmund Weis School of Business faculty and parents will be held from 8 to 9:15 a.m. LIFE participants will present their final presentations and infomercials on Saturday from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.
- 8-8:45 a.m.- Breakfast
- 9-10 a.m.- Introduction to idea generation
- 10-10:15 a.m.- Break
- 10:15-11:30 a.m.- How to solve problems which can be turned into businesses
- 11:30-12:30 p.m.- Lunch
- 1-3 p.m.- Visit local business
- 3-4 p.m. How to build a 60-minute website
- 4-5:15 p.m.- Working in teams with your mentor
- 6-7:30 p.m.- Power dining and etiquette experience
- 8-9:30 p.m.- Talent show/outdoor movie on the lawn/ice cream social
- 10 p.m.- Group meeting
- Midnight- Lights out
- A formal outfit for the dining etiquette exercise and formal presentation
- Athletic clothing for company visit to fitness studio
- Casual clothing for class sessions and outings
- Toiletry items
- Towels and washcloths
- Blankets and pillows (NOTE: sheets and pillowcases are provided)
- A desk lamp (if needed)
- School supplies such as paper, pens and pencils
- Spending money (minimal required)
"The LIFE program helped me gain insightful knowledge of entrepreneurship and business management. As a business major at Susquehanna University, I feel LIFE has given me a clear advantage over other students. My LIFE program experience and view of the business program were the largest influential factors affecting my decision to study here." -Jim Weyent
"The LIFE program was such an amazing experience that I could have stayed for another two weeks at least. Thanks again!"-Rob Langtry
"Thank you for giving our son Zachary the memory and experience of a lifetime."-Marc and Jacqui Litif
"I want to thank you for giving me the opportunity to take part in this wonderful experience...I hope that future young entrepreneurs will get the same chance that I did to shine."-Brenton Wanner
"It was one of the best experiences of my life."-Kevin T. Weyant
"Thank you for the wonderful time I had at the Leadership Institute for Entrepreneurship program."-Paul Anderson
"Many students tell me LIFE was 'the best week of my life.' I think the key to such a wonderful experience is the combination of real-life, successful entrepreneurs, lifelong educators, and college-age program assistants who are all passionate about seeing each and every student have a fun-filled educational week with us. "-Tom Houck, parent of former LIFE students and former entrepreneur-in-residence
You'll need a recommendation from anyone who knows you well and is not a relative, such as a teacher, guidance counselor, supervisor for a job or a volunteer position you hold, religious leader, etc.
Attn: Jayme Long
514 University Ave.
Selinsgrove, PA 17870
experience of a lifetime26th
year of program90
% of LIFE students enroll in business program