Publishing & Editing Institute
June 23–29, 2024
Do you dream of working at a publishing house? Are you seeking a practical application for your love of reading and writing? Learn what it takes to produce and market a book in this hands-on, team-centered experience that features workshops, strategy sessions and guest speakers who are industry professionals.
This is a unique experience at Susquehanna offers the only summer program in the country for high school students interested in book publishing. You’ll spend the week learning to think like a publisher and gaining valuable editorial and digital media skills.
Working in our dedicated publishing lab, The Letterbox, you and your teammates will create a book launch and marketing campaign for a trade book. Your team will come up with a book title and cover, determine the book’s audience, and create a digital presentation to sell the book to investors and consumers.
Along the way you’ll explore the book’s influence on society and culture and develop your entrepreneurship and team-building skills. You’ll also hear from working professionals about career paths in publishing and how Susquehanna’s Publishing & Editing program prepared them to do what they love: bringing literature into the world.
Students entering grades 10–12 are invited to register.
The 2024 Summer Pre-College Program information and registration will be available soon. See below for a sampling of program highlights, information to know and instructors.
- Attend workshops on digital publishing tools, marketing and book cover design.
- Get advice and coaching from professionals in the industry.
- Delve into sessions on entrepreneurial editing, book history and the impact of books on our culture.
- Work on your projects in The Letterbox, our publishing and editing lab.
- Have fun teaming up with other students who share your passion for books.
- Visit local bookstores.
- Participate in end-of-week formal book launch and marketing presentation.