Applicants for admission to the graphic design or studio art (painting & drawing or photography) programs must submit a portfolio of eight to 12 examples of their best current art work. Materials should be submitted after applying to the university for general admittance.
Prospective art department majors must submit a portfolio as part of the application process. We use the portfolio to determine whether or not potential students are a good fit for our program, and ready to tackle college-level art and design classes.
We do not use the portfolio as a tool to help choose one student over another, nor do we have a predetermined number of students we accept each year.
Our philosophy is open-minded, and when we review portfolios we aren’t overly concerned with where your work is right now, but rather where it (and you) can go. We want to work with capable and motivated students, and challenge them to become better than they ever thought possible.
Portfolios should be submitted when you apply to Susquehanna, or shortly thereafter—however they must be received by July 1 so that new students can be enrolled in the appropriate fall semester art classes. Portfolios are evaluated shortly after they are received, and applicants are typically notified of their status by mail within four weeks, provided they have been formally admitted to the university.
If you have questions about the status of your portfolio or the art department in general, please email Amanda Lenig (email@example.com).
Our image preference is for in-focus digital photographs or scans of artwork saved to a CD, but web based submissions (Behance, DeviantArt, SquareSpace, Blogger, etc.) are acceptable provided they meet the guidelines described below.
Include 8–12 pieces of your best current work.
- Work does NOT have to be from high school art or graphic design courses! If you haven’t taken a lot of these courses, don’t worry! Neither have many of the world’s best artists and graphic designers. Send us what you have!
- Portfolios must contain at least four drawings or paintings. Photography portfolios must contain at least two.
- Exercise caution if submitting work from high school graphic design classes or from yearbook. A few pieces are fine, but don’t submit a portfolio composed primarily of, for example, Photoshop exercises or yearbook layouts.
- DO NOT submit work in only one medium, unless it is painting or drawing.
- DO NOT submit original artwork. Portfolios will not be returned.
LAST, BUT NOT LEAST:
- Write your name and your intended major (Graphic Design, Painting & Drawing, or Photography) on the CD.
- Remember to finalize (burn) the disc, and then test it. (We receive a few blank CDs each and every year!)
Mail Your Portfolio To:
Susquehanna University Art Department
514 University Avenue
Selinsgrove, PA 17870
OR EMAIL A WORKING URL TO: firstname.lastname@example.org, and be sure to put “Application Portfolio” in the subject line.