This two-year program is a grand slam for Susquehanna athletes, coaches and the university. Hand-selected for their potential to positively impact the university’s student-athletes, these postgrad interns are given an unparalleled opportunity to gain on-the-job experience for their future careers in collegiate athletics. By supporting an internship, donors will have a direct impact on the success of Susquehanna’s athletics program, as well as the careers of these promising young professionals.
Vital to Our Success
“The internship program is a vital element of our athletics programs. Coaching is built on developing relationships and the interns help tremendously in this area.”
Men's Head Basketball Coach
The athletics internship program is not only a solid launching pad for coaching and other athletics careers, it provides Susquehanna with the equivalent of full-time assistant coaches who not only advise student-athletes on their game, but also offer a ready ear for them to discuss the unique challenges faced by collegiate athletes. They also serve as:
- An extra pair of experienced hands to help athletes with skill development, conditioning, game preparation and team motivation.
- Recruiters who identify exceptional student-athletes, and meet with them and their parents.
- Personal mentors, coaches and motivators to student-athletes.
“That first year had such an initial impact in on-field coaching, recruiting, generating applications, increasing the class size, and so much more. Those were the visible effects, but these interns also contributed in so many ways that weren’t as visible, including their great connection with our student-athletes because they were closer in age.”
—Pam Samuelson, Director of Athletics
The internship program was introduced during the 2006–07 academic year as a pilot program, thanks to a gift from Trustee Chair John R. Strangfeld ’75 and his wife, Mary Kay, to bolster the success of Susquehanna’s 23 varsity sports. The following year, Trustee Edward Schmitt ’69 and the university matched the initial funds to expand the program to 13 positions.
"[By] providing an entrée into collegiate coaching, the interns have an opportunity to both learn and make a difference."
—John R. Strangfeld ’75, program founder
The program is currently sustained by the generosity of Susquehanna donors who support internships in the following areas:
- Men’s and women’s basketball
- Men’s and women’s soccer
- Men’s and women’s lacrosse
- Athletics communications
Full-time coaching internships: $17,000 per year for each position
Endowment of an internship: $378,000
For more information, please contact Kim Andretta, interim assistant vice president for gift planning, at 570-372-4042 or email@example.com.
"The internship program was such a great opportunity for me to learn and mature as a young coach. I learned not only from Coach (Jim) Findlay but from all of the coaches. Recognizing that you can always learn and better your coaching abilities is one of the ideas that I will carry with me throughout my career."
Assistant Soccer Coach with Division I Lafayette College
Former athletics interns have gone on to fulfilling careers in collegiate sports. Here is a sampling of the positions they’ve landed:
- Matt Blue: Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach, Hartford University; Former Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach, Lafayette College
- Anna Cooper: Assistant Director of Sports Information, Ithaca College; Former Assistant Director of Sports Information, University of Delaware
- Kate Curran: Head Women’s Track Coach, St. Lawrence University
- Jason Davis: Head Track & Field Coach, Lake Superior State University
- Andy German: Assistant Lacrosse Coach, Villanova University
- Bob Jazwinski: Assistant Football Coach, Dickinson College
- T.J. Jordan: Assistant Basketball Coach, Lehigh University
- Jackie Klahold: Head Softball Coach, SUNY–Canton
- Sam Kszepka: Head Softball Coach, Juniata College
- Dan Mehleisen: Defensive Coordinator, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
- Greg Miller: Assistant Men's Basketball Coach, St. Lawrence University
- Camille Murphy: Head Women's Basketball Coach/Assistant to Athletic Director, Green Mountain College
- Mandy Olley: Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach, Bucknell University
- Laura Streets: Assistant Softball Coach, Towson University; Former Assistant Softball Coach, Delaware State University
- Dan Torie: Assistant Men's Lacrosse Coach, Franklin & Marshall College