The Dos and Don'ts of Athletic Giving
We are committed to maintaining an athletics program in compliance with all NCAA, conference and university regulations. The responsibility to maintain compliance falls on all members of the Susquehanna family, including alumni, boosters and friends. Your awareness of and adherence to regulations are essential to the success of Susquehanna Athletics.
NCAA Division III regulations do not allow for student-athletes to receive extra benefits. Donors cannot:
- Provide a current student-athlete, their parents or friends with any benefit or special arrangement without prior approval of the director of athletics.
- Provide, co-sign or arrange a loan for a student-athlete, or the student-athlete’s parents, relatives or friends—no matter the amount.
- Pay for, arrange for payment of, or provide cost-free room, board or transportation for a student-athlete or their family and friends.
- Provide or arrange for the provision of gifts and free or reduced-cost services of any kind (e.g., summer storage space, use of laundry facilities, retail discounts, etc.) for a current student-athlete or his/her family members.
- Provide entertainment to student-athletes or their families.
- Provide any award (e.g. financial aid award, most valuable player award, etc.) to student-athletes that are not approved by the Department of Athletics or not provided through the university.
- Provide tickets to professional sporting events.
- Make contact (e.g., in-person contact, telephone calls, electronic communication and written correspondence) with the student-athlete of another NCAA or NAIA four-year collegiate institution about transferring institutions.
ASK BEFORE YOU ACT!
Failure to ask before you act can render prospective student-athletes and currently enrolled student-athletes ineligible for competition at Susquehanna. The responsibility to maintain compliance falls on all members of the Susquehanna family, including alumni, boosters and friends. Your awareness of and adherence to regulations are essential to the success of the Susquehanna Athletics.
Under NCAA rules, SU is responsible for all actions taken by supporters of the athletics program, so we encourage you to contact us if you have any questions or knowledge of potential rules violations. Asking questions about what you may or may not do is the best way to protect the university and its student-athletes.
Contact one of the following individuals with your questions:
Pam Samuelson, director of athletics
Laura Moan, compliance coordinator
Tony White, assistant director of alumni, parent and donor engagement, and manager of the Orange and Maroon Club
Do give generously!
You can support the unrestricted athletics fund that benefits all student-athletes, or you can choose to give to an individual team. Make your gift today!
Do not give to an individual student-athlete!
NCAA Division III regulations do not allow for student-athletes and their families to receive extra benefits. So please do not do things like:
- Pay for room, board or other college expenses.
- Buy them gifts (No cars, please).
- Provide them with entertainment (Ex. tickets to professional sporting events).
- Co-sign or arrange for a loan.