Based on the understanding that civic engagement is a vital part of a liberal arts education, the David '69 and Sharon Johnson Center for Civic Engagement is committed to providing opportunities that allow students, faculty and staff to learn about and reflect upon their roles as active, informed citizens within the community.
By fostering a campus culture that inspires civic leadership and social responsibility, the center continuously supports our mission.
The center was dedicated in March 2014. Through David and Sharon's support, more students have attended SU SPLASH pre-orientation and received scholarships for exemplary service-learning work.
Because of the work of the Johnson Center for Civic Engagement, we have been recognized on the President's Higher Education Community Service every year since 2006 and have twice earned distinction.
How We Help
- Encourage students to live engaged, enlightened and reflective lives evident of a social and environmental conscience.
- Promote exploration and understanding of local and global citizenship.
- Foster the understanding of the complexity and enormity of social issues facing local community, country and world at large.
- Further development of sensitivity to the human condition.
- Cultivate a value for a life-long commitment to service.
- Define the term "civic engagement" as recognized by the university.
Partner with Us!
We want to enhance the university’s presence in our community through partnerships with local and regional organizations. Our partners benefit from students’ skills, knowledge and interest in learning more about social issues.
How can students help?
Our students have a variety of interests, including children and families, community and economic developmen, environmental conservation and sustainability, animal welfare, food access and security, and arts and culture.
They've built valuable skills and expertise in:
- Accounting and finance
- Administration and management
- Social media and public relations
- Work with senior citizens, individuals with disabilities, children and animals
The David '69 and Sharon Johnson Center for Civic Engagement
514 University Ave.
Selinsgrove, Pa. 17870
Degenstein Campus Center, lower levelCampus Map
Phone & Email
Asst. Director for Leadership & Engagement and Johnson Center for Civic Engagement