The Office of Residence Life recognizes the importance of bringing your belongings that will make your living environment comfortable on campus.
Bringing just the essentials will allow for both a speedy move-in and move-out process. To make it easier on you — and whomever will be assisting you with moving in and moving out — remember these guidelines.
- Only pack essentials!
- Remove bulky items from their boxes and pack them in plastic bins, which can be easily transported. These can be stored under the bed or in a closet, which also adds protection.
- Do not bring any additional furniture such as loft kits, shelves, futons, etc. These items are difficult to transport. We encourage renting a refrigerator and/or microwave through mymicrofridge.com. See information below.
- Residents are expected to have minimal decorations.
Pack face masks again this year. Places like physician offices require them to be worn to enter the building.
- Twin-size comforter
- Twin-size X-long sheets
- Bed pillows
- Extra blanket
- Mattress cover*
- Foam pad*
- Poster tack/putty, 3MTM CommandTM strips or similar
- Posters (can be purchased at campus vendor fair)*
- Tack board
- Curtains with tension rod*
- Seasonal clothing
- Your favorite SU sweatshirt*
- Comfortable walking shoes & winter boots
- Flip-flops for use in shower
- Alarm clock
- Erasable memo board*
- Desk lamp
- Trash can
- Storage crates
- Area rug*
- Under bed containers
- Storage containers (for food)
- Refrigerator* (less than 5 cubic feet)
- Keurig or coffeepot with auto shutoff*
- Hand vacuum*
- Cleaning supplies
- Microwave (700 watts or under)
- Hole punch
- Hair care products
- Bath towels
- Shower caddy
- First-aid kit
- Bathing products—soap/bath gel ❍ Dental care products
- Hygiene products
- Hair dryer*
- Shaving items
- Over-the-door hook*
- Laundry basket/hamper
- Travel iron*
- Tabletop ironing board*
- Laundry supplies
- Drying rack
- Phone charger/docking station*
- DVD/BluRay player*
- UL-approved extension cord(s), 3-prong only
- Surge protector/power strip(s)
*Recommended but not required
Refrigerator/microwave: If you are living in a suite, a refrigerator and microwave already have been provided; leave yours at home. Still need one? Consider renting a microfridge from Microfridge. The company will drop off and pick up so you won’t have to worry about getting it home.
Bedding: Instead of bringing your own bedding from home this year, consider ordering a linen pack from OCM. You can opt to have this shipped to your home address and bring it to campus, or have it shipped directly to campus using your Hawk Number.
Things to Leave at Home
✘ All kitchen appliances particularly those with exposed heating units, as well as hot plates, blenders, toasters, broilers, griddles, grills, etc.
✘ Candles and incense of any kind
✘ Halogen lamps/bulbs
✘ Air conditioners
✘ Space heaters
✘ Pellet, BB or paintball guns
✘ Alcohol and empty alcohol containers (rooms are “dry” unless both residents are 21+)