Residence Life recognizes the importance of bringing your belongings that will make your campus living environment comfortable.
Bringing just the essentials will allow for both a speedy move-in and move-out process. To make it easier on you — and whomever will be assisting you with moving in and out — remember these helpful suggestions/guidelines:
- Only pack essentials.
- Remove bulky items from original boxes and pack them in plastic bins, which can be easily transported. The bins can then be stored under the bed or in a closet, and used a protective storage for other things.
- Do not bring any additional furniture such as loft kits, shelves, futons, etc. These items are difficult to transport.
- We encourage renting a refrigerator and/or microwave through mymicrofridge.com. See information below.
- Residents are expected to have minimal decorations which will not damage university property in application.
Pack face masks again this year. Places such as physician offices require them to be worn to enter.
- Twin-size comforter
- Twin-size X-long sheets
- Bed pillow(s)
- Extra blanket
- Mattress cover*
- Foam pad*
- Microwave (700 watts or under)
- Refrigerator* (less than 5 cubic feet)
- Keurig or coffeepot with auto shutoff*
- Desk lamp
- Trash can
- Storage crates
- Under bed containers
- Area rug*
- Erasable memo board*
- Cleaning supplies
- Hand vacuum*
- Storage containers (for food)
- Seasonal clothing
- Comfortable walking shoes & winter boots
- Flip-flops for use in shower
- Rain boots*
- Your favorite SU sweatshirt/gear!*
- Hair care products
- Hair dryer*
- Bath towels
- Shower caddy
- Bathing products (soap, bath gel)
- First-aid kit
- Dental care products
- Hygiene products
- Shaving items
- Over-the-door hook*
- HE laundry supplies (detergent, fabric softener, etc.)
- Laundry basket/hamper
- Drying rack*
- Phone charger/docking station*
- Gaming stations*
- UL-approved extension cord(s), 3-prong only
- Surge protector/power strip(s)
- Stapler and staples
- Hole punch
- Poster tack/putty, 3M™ Command™ strips
- Posters* (can be purchased at campus vendor fair)
- Tack board/thumbtacks
- Curtains with tension rod*
*Recommended, but not required
Things to Leave at Home
✘ Kitchen appliances, particularly those with exposed heating units, as well as, hot plates, blenders, toasters, broilers, griddles, grills, etc.
✘ Candles and incense of any kind
✘ Halogen lamps/bulbs
✘ Air conditioners
✘ Space heaters
✘ LED strip lights
✘ Weapons of any kind, including but not limited to: hand, pellet, BB or paintball guns, knives of any kind
✘ Alcohol and empty alcohol containers (rooms are “dry” unless all roommates are 21+)
Ordering Options make it easy
Instead of bringing your own bedding from home, consider ordering a linen pack from Susquehanna’s Bookstore. You can opt to have this shipped to your home address and bring it to campus, or have it shipped directly to campus using your Hawk Number.
If you are living in a suite, a refrigerator and microwave are provided; leave yours at home.
Need one for your room? Consider renting a MicroFridge©. Before you move in, your MicroFridge© will be delivered right to your room saving you the hassle of transporting the unit. At the end of the year, once you have moved out, the MicroFridge© unit will be picked back up. Roommates often chose to share a MicroFridge© to save space and money. MicroFridge© units can be purchased online or by calling 800-525-7307.