The Office of Residence Life recognizes the importance of bringing your belongings that will make your living environment comfortable on campus. The packing checklist for fall 2020 undoubtedly looks different than checklists from years past due to the changes and challenges COVID-19 brings.
Bringing just the essentials will allow for both a speedy move-in and move-out process. If the university would be ordered to close at any time during the fall semester, we will have to ask you to pack your things and return home — all within a 48-hour timeframe. To make it easier on you — and whomever will be assisting you with moving in and moving out — remember these guidelines.
- Only pack essentials!
- Limit the amount of clothing you bring. You will reside on campus until Nov. 20, so there is no need to pack your winter items.
- Remove bulky items from their boxes and pack them in plastic bins, which can be easily transported. These can be stored under the bed or in a closet, which also adds protection.
- Do not bring any additional furniture such as loft kits, shelves, futons, etc. These items are difficult to transport. We encourage renting a refrigerator and/or microwave through mymicrofridge.com. See information below.
- Residents are expected to have minimal decorations, and this year we ask that you consider what would need to be transported and stored in the event of a campus closure.
- Clothes (summer/fall wear)
- Shoes (athletic shoes, boots, casual shoes)
- Flip-flops for shower
- Light jacket, raincoat, heavy coat
- Twin size, extra-long sheets
- Twin size comforter or blanket
- Mattress cover/mattress pad
- Hair care products
- Bathing products
- Shower caddy
- Dental products
- Hygiene products
- Shaving items
- Cleaning supplies
- Paper plates/cups
- Trash can
- Desk lamp
- Phone charger
- Small television
- UL-approved extension cords, 3-prong only
- Surge protector
- Reusable face masks
- First Aid kit
- Cleaning supplies
- Poster tack/putty, 3M strips
- Laundry supplies
Refrigerator/microwave: If you are living in a suite, a refrigerator and microwave already have been provided; leave yours at home. Still need one? Consider renting a microfridge from Microfridge. The company will drop off and pick up so you won’t have to worry about getting it home.
Bedding: Instead of bringing your own bedding from home this year, consider ordering a linen pack from OCM. You can opt to have this shipped to your home address and bring it to campus, or have it shipped directly to campus using your Hawk Number.
Leave at Home
- All kitchen appliances with exposed heating units (toasters, grills, hot plates, broilers, etc.)
- Candles and incense of any kind
- Halogen lamps/bulbs
- Air Conditioners
- Space heaters
- Pellet, BB, or paintball guns
- Alcohol and empty alcohol containers (unless both residents are 21+)