What can $300,000 do?
Here, we're using that money from a Department of Justice Office of Violence Against Women grant to implement several endeavors across campus to improve comprehensive prevention as well as victims services.
This means hiring of a Project Coordinator to assure the measures of the grant are met and the development of a Coordinated Community Response Team (CCRT), but also several things that affect the lives of people on campus in real ways.
- Mandatory prevention and education programs about gender based violence; specifically, sexual assault, domestic/dating violence, and stalking.
- Training for all campus law enforcement on the topic of gender based violence and response.
- Training for all conduct board members on the topic of gender based violence as it pertains to understanding and evaluating conduct cases.
If you have found this page and need to file a report, please go here.
Our Susquehanna University CCRT is made up of internal and external partners focused on improving campus-wide prevention as well improved survivor-centered services. Our team is divided into general CCR Team members who meet and work in subcommittees once a month on the topics of: Conduct, Law Enforcement, Prevention, and Victim/Survivor Services. In addition, there is a core team of seven members who attend OVW’s required Training and Technical Institutes and attend one additional team meeting a month.
Christiana Paradis, Program Coordinator for DOJ OVW Grant, Chair of CCRT, Ex Officio All Committees
Angelo Martin, Director of Public Safety; Law Enforcement Subcommittee
Don Weirick, Associate Director of Public Safety; Law Enforcement Subcommittee; Core Team Member
Ryan Maxwell; Public Safety Lead Investigator; Law Enforcement Subcommittee
Christie Kracker, Dean of Students and Campus Life; Conduct Subcommittee; Core Team Member
Dena Salerno, Asst. Dean for Student Diversity and Inclusion and Interim Title IX Coordinator; Victim/Survivor Support Subcommittee and Conduct Subcommittee
Pamela Samuelson, Ph.D., Director of Athletics; Prevention Subcommittee
Samantha Proffitt, Director of the First Year Experience; Prevention Subcommittee
Susan L. Lantz, Ed.D., Vice President for Student Life; Conduct Subcommittee; Core Team Member
Stacey Pearson-Wharton, Ph.D., Dean of Health and Wellness, Director of the Counseling Center; Victim Services Subcommittee
Edward Slavishak, Associate Professor of History, Program Director of GO Czech Republic; Prevention Subcommittee
Dan MacArthur, Director of Web Communications, Prevention Subcommittee
Tonya Valentine, Outreach Coordinator, Prevention Subcommittee
Nick Spicer, Assistant Dean of Students, Campus Activities, Leadership and Engagement, Victim/Survivor Support Subcommittee, Conduct Subcommittee
Heather Over, Transitions of PA; Victim/Survivor Services Subcommittee
Maggie Lemons, Transitions of PA; Victim/Survivor Services Subcommittee, Prevention Committee; Core Team Member
District Attorney Mike Piecuch, Snyder County DA’s Office; Law Enforcement Subcommittee
Rachel Gordner, Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) Program, Evangelical Community Hospital; Victim Services Subcommittee
Chief Thomas Garlock; Chief of Selinsgrove Borough Police Department; Law Enforcement Subcommittee; Core Team Member
In addition to the efforts of staff, faculty, and professionals in our community we have also expanded our CCR Team to include a student advisory committee. This committee reviews the work of the CCR Team and provides critical student feedback before implementation.
Currently we have a Student Advisory Committee of 12 students and representation across cross cutting populations within our campus community including: first year-senior class year, Greek Life affiliation, First Year Experience student leaders, Resident Assistants, Peer Educators, faith-based organization affiliation, and first generation students. We are continually looking to expand the knowledge and range of our Student Advisory Committee. If you are interested in getting involved, please contact our Program Coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Each division of our CCR Team is working on critical goals as part of our strategic plan for the Office of Violence Against Women. Below is an outline of goals each subcommittee of our CCRT is working on. To be included on the List Serv to receive monthly updates about our work or to get involved more e-mail email@example.com.
Comprehensive Prevention Subcommittee
- Have consistent posted language, messaging, and branding across campus and on our University website that focuses on proactive preventative behavior that will galvanize community buy-in and eliminate misperceptions and gaps in communication.
- Increase our prevention education on campus to include the incorporation of evidence-based primary prevention that will focus on skill building for key topics related to gender-based violence that are culturally specific.
- Increase our prevention education on campus to include the incorporation of evidence-based primary prevention for 100% of incoming students that is culturally specific.
- Have a standard process and protocol for engaging, tracking, and evaluating prevention programming on campus and adapting programming to meet the needs of our community.
Student Conduct Subcommittee
- Have in place a set of clear, concise, policies and procedures for addressing situations of sexual assault, domestic/dating violence, and stalking that have been prepared and revised in line with recommendations for best policy practices.
- Have communicated and educated faculty, staff, students, and CCRT members on the revised conduct policy.
- Our campus conduct board will have a continual training schedule and be fully trained to respond effectively to situations involving sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence and stalking.
Law Enforcement Subcommittee
- Have a signed and implemented MOU between Susquehanna University’s Department of Public Safety and Selinsgrove Borough Police Department.
- Have assisted in the development and participate in a countywide sexual assault protocol.
- SU’s Department of Public Safety and Selinsgrove Police Department will have designed and implemented an ongoing training schedule that allows for routine training of all officers.
- SU’s Department of Public Safety will have developed a process for assessing and evaluating the investigation process.
Victim/Survivor Support Services Subcommittee
- Have a process in place to provide a survivor-centered structured initial meeting that is accessible for all campus student populations.
- Have a permanent place on campus to provide survivor-centered support.
- Have a developed advocacy program to better serve survivors of sexual violence.
- Have universal screening for relationship and sexual violence at the University Health Center.