Support for Pregnant & Parenting Students
You may already know that Title IX Educational Amendments of 1972 prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex. However, what you may not know is that this legislation was expanded through guidance released by the Department of Education in 1975, which clarified that TIX protections extended to discrimination on the basis of pregnancy, childbirth, false pregnancy, miscarriage, abortion and other related conditions.
Pregnant and parenting students are guaranteed equitable access to all educational activities and programs, this includes classes, labs, athletics, clubs and organizations and many other things!
Pregnancy is considered a temporary disability under the law; therefore, pregnant students have the right to the same academic accommodations available to anyone with a temporary disability or medical condition.
Supportive Measures and Academic Accommodations
Students have a right to a variety of supportive measures and academic accommodations under Title IX, including but not limited to:
- Housing and dining accommodations
- Facilities supportive measures such as requesting a larger desk or more accessible seating
- Excused absences. This can include absences from student employment, athletic practice/competitive events, and classroom attendance.
- Students have the right to take breaks during class, practice, work, etc. including taking breaks so that they can go the lactation room on campus which is located in the Violence Intervention and Prevention (VIP) Center in the Blough-Weis Library.
- Under certain circumstances, remote/alternate learning options, may be deemed acceptable.
- A variety of other available supportive measures can be found outlined in our Supporting Pregnant and Parenting students policy.
The Title IX Office works closely with students to discuss their rights, options and resources and then connects the student to the Center for Academic Success for navigating temporary disability accommodations.
Want to meet with the Title IX Office to learn more about your rights, options and resources as a pregnant & parenting student? Fill out a referral form.
Contact the Title IX Coordinator
Director of Title IX Compliance