At Susquehanna, we celebrate the unique personalities, cultures and talents of our students, particularly those who come to us from other countries. You are a valuable part of our community! We hope that you will quickly come to call Susquehanna "home."

We offer many services to help you transition to life here. We're prepared to answer any questions you may have, help you get involved in campus clubs and organizations, or find ways to share your culture with others.

To maintain your status as an F-1 international student, you must:

  • Hold a valid passport
  • Pursue a full course of study at the university 
  • Make normal progress towards the completion of your program, which means you must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours each fall and spring semester
  • Have a current F-1 visa and a that corresponds to your level, field and period of study
  • Have health insurance that meets required minimum standards set by the university

After you complete your program, you have a 60-day grace period during which you can travel within the U.S., apply to begin another degree program and more. Please notify the Office of Cross-Cultural programs within 10 days of any change of address, so we can report that information to the proper authorities.

If you choose to work off campus, you must have official authorization from Susquehanna.

If you fail to comply with these regulations, you will lose your F-1 status. Please contact your international student advisor if you think you are out of status.

If you change your major or add an additional major, you will need to submit a Request for I-20 Form so that we may update your I-20.

In order to maintain your F-1 status, you should update your I-20 as often as necessary.

You will have a variety of employment opportunities as an F-1 student.

On-Campus Employment, Including Research and Assistantships

You may work up to 20 hours per week during the school year on campus.

Curricular Practical Training for Internships, Co-op Programs and Work Experience for Credit

During summer or winter break you may work full-time in off-campus training programs that are "an integral part of an established curriculum" but must first obtain work authorization for Curricular Practical Training (CPT). Training must be related to your major.

Optional Practical Training for Off-campus Employment in Field of Study

Similar to CPT, Optional Practical Training (OPT) allows you to work off campus in your field of study. Students can be eligible for up to one year of OPT after graduation.

Employment Based on Economic Necessity

If you encounter severe economic hardship, please see us immediately. You may qualify for off-campus work authorization.

For more information, visit

While you have F-1 status at Susquehanna, you're welcome to explore other parts of the country in order to enhance your experience. Travel within the United States does not require a travel signature or any special documents.

If you are leaving the U.S. and plan to return as an F-1 student, you must have all your papers in order, including a passport that is valid for six months beyond your expected day of re-entry, an F-1 U.S. visa stamp, and a current I-20 form with a travel signature along with any old I-20s you may have. Please see us before you leave the country to be sure you have a valid travel signature.

Remember, you need a valid F-1 U.S. Visa Stamp in your passport to re-enter the U.S. New F-1 visas cannot be obtained inside the U.S. If your visa has expired or you have used all of the multiple entries, you should return to your home country to apply for a renewal of your F-1 visa

Check for visa application guidelines and wait times at U.S. consulates.

For more information, consult the U.S. State Department website.

To qualify for a student visa, you must certify that you have adequate funding to cover all educational costs. You must complete and submit a Certification of Financial Support, which is available from the office of admissions.

You may be eligible for partial tuition scholarships if you exhibit strong academic ability and the potential for contributing to the Susquehanna community. Scholarships are limited. They are awarded for fall semester applicants.

Scholarships do not cover the cost of room, meals, fees, insurance, travel, books, school supplies, personal needs, clothing, laundry, recreation, or living expenses during vacation periods. Students must be able to meet these costs with their own funds.

Contact Us

Office of Global Programs

514 University Ave.
Selinsgrove, PA 17870

Get directions


Old Admission Building, first floor

Campus Map

Phone & Email