As an exchange student, you'll bring new perspectives, cultures and ideas. In return, you'll be welcomed by students, faculty and staff who are genuinely interested in learning more about you and your worldview.

We have a wealth of information to help you succeed. Get ready for a rich and rewarding experience that will be a springboard for future success.

While you have J-1 status at Susquehanna, you're welcome to explore other parts of the country. Travel within the United States does not require a travel signature or any special documents.

If you travel outside the U.S., you'll want to have all your papers in order, including a valid passport, U.S. visa and DS-2019, signed for travel. Make sure all of these documents do not expire by the time you plan to return to the U.S. It also may be helpful to carry previous DS-2019s if you have them, current proof of financial support and proof of your current enrollment or university transcript.

For more information, visit the U.S. State Department website.

You may work while you are at Susquehanna, but you must first obtain a Social Security card, which can take several weeks, and be approved in writing by the International Student Services Coordinator.

Types of Student Employment

On-Campus Work—You are allowed to work on campus during your studies at Susquehanna.

Off-Campus Work—Exchange students are not generally allowed to work off-campus. If an unexpected financial need arises during your studies, please see the International Student Services Coordinator immediately.

Conditions and limitations

If you want to be eligible for "Student Employment," you must:

  • Hold valid J-1 status 
  • Be registered and studying full-time
  • Be in good academic standing at Susquehanna University
  • Get written approval for the specific employment in advance from the International Student Services Coordinator

You may work a total of 20 hours per week while school is in session or full-time during official school breaks and vacation periods.

Academic Training

Academic training is the name the U.S. Department of State uses for certain types of study-related employment for students in J-1 status.

Academic training offers a variety of employment situations to supplement your academic program in the United States by working part-time while classes are in session and full-time during vacation periods.

To qualify for academic training, you must first obtain approval in writing from the International Student Services Coordinator.

For more information on working on a J-1 visa, visit

To qualify for a student visa, you must certify that you have adequate funding to cover educational costs.

Exchange students pay tuition at their home institution, but must provide Susquehanna financial documents showing sufficient resources to cover room and board, insurance, books and other expenses. You must complete and submit a Certification of Financial Support.

Contact Us

Office of Global Programs

514 University Ave.
Selinsgrove, PA 17870

Get directions


Old Admission Building, first floor

Campus Map

Phone & Email