March 27, 2023
The SU 2026: Strategic Plan includes many components focused on strengthening equity and inclusion for our university. It comprises specific elements aimed at eliminating bias and barriers in our policies and practices and recognizing the unique characteristics and needs of all members of our community. While recent efforts of CenSUs and SU 2.0 have improved our university community, it is time to further advance these initiatives with a holistic review of our co-curricular policies and practices.
As I announced before spring break, in collaboration with Francy Magee, Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students, I am charging a new task force to review our co-curricular student-facing policies, processes, and the ways they function to identify additional opportunities that enable inclusive and equitable student experiences. We want to ensure that everyone, from first-generation students to students of various backgrounds, races and ethnicities, and identities, know that they are welcome and feel a sense of belonging on campus every day.
The task force, will be chaired by María Muñoz, Interim Chief Inclusion and Diversity Officer, supported by Carla Krissinger, Senior Administrative Assistant, and will include the following colleagues:
- Kris Brown, Assistant Director of Campus Safety
- Amy Davis, Assistant Director of Inclusion and Diversity
- Stephanie Johnson, Associate Director of Athletics for Compliance
- Scott Kershner, Chaplain
- Tegan Kotarski, Director of Tutoring Services
- Jess Manno, Assistant Vice President of Student Life
- Christiana Paradis, Director of Title IX Compliance
- Stacey Pearson-Wharton, Dean of Health & Wellness and Director of Counseling Center
- Samantha Proffitt, Senior Director of Student Engagement
- Rob Sieczkiewicz, Director of the Blough-Weis Library
- Erin Smith, Assistant Professor of Psychology and Student Life Committee Member
The task force will undertake a thorough review and provide us with a set of recommendations by June 30, which we will use as a guide for strengthening the ways students connect with university resources and programs so we can become an even better living-and-learning community for all our students.